Vista 64 - Crashed during gfx driver update - Boots to black screen w/ mouse only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckorban

Alright let's see.

How it happened:
I was updating my graphics drivers and my computer screen went blank and had a "_" cursor at the top left of my screen blinking. It stayed like that so I decided to hard reset it.

The Problem:
Now, whenever I try to boot into vista, I see the loading bar and everything and right when I'm supposed to me my log on screen, all I see is a black screen and a mouse cursor in the middle. Also, if I leave it for a very long time, the screen saver kicks in and I see the windows logo going from place to place. This also happens for all different types of safemodes and whatnot.

What I tried:
I went loaded the HD into an external case and deleted the C:\nvidia folder.
Windows DVD repair, wasn't sure what to select.
I also tried to use Driver cleaner with the HD connected to my laptop(didn't work since I can't select another drive than what I'm booted from) and Nasty File Remover (which I can select the external HD) but it didn't solve my problem.
Also tried removing the VGA card and booting it for a while, then turning it off and putting the card back in, didn't work. (Couldnt see what was happening, mobo doesnt have onboard VGA)

Interesting facts:
I have my HD split into 2 partitions, with an installation of vista on each. I booted into my second partition's vista just fine, so it has to be something in my vista installation.
The computer had been working fine with no modifications or hardware addings for about 6 months, this happened the middle of an nvidia driver update.
I can borrow my friend's VGA card which is the same exact one as mine.
My motherboard does not have onboard VGA.

Any ideas?

Any idea what I need to do using the windows vista DVD? Aka how to repair?

OK, I've deleted every file starting with "nv", mainly the inf directory... Nothing changed.. I'm desperate at this point, I'll try anything...

IS there any way to preserve my programs, documents, settings, etc..?

If i just reinstall vista on the partition, would I lose my programs and documents?

If i just reinstall vista on the partition, would I lose my programs and documents?

I think so. I am not overly familiar with HD Partitions.

If you can boot into windows on the one partition, can you see the other "non-working" partition? If so.... can you copy what you nee to the working partition, reinstall on the dead partition, and then move the files back?

Sorry, I don't actually know if the above will work... just brain storming!

Yep, I have full access to the partition, it just won't boot properly to windows. I am more worried about my programs and whatnot. the data I can just backup but there's no way to keep the programs intact, just reinstall all the drivers and core windows files?

someone recommended I replace lsass and winlogon.exe from another installation... anything else like that I can try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back