TechSpot

Vista and RAM

By sellmesanity
May 1, 2007
  1. I am wondering for those of you that had 1gb of ram and upgraded to 2gb, if it made a difference in Vista, and how much of a difference, along with what differences?

Thanks

2. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 55

yes, go with 2 gigs of ram, it will speed things up in vista

3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

2 gigs of some decent ram will do you nicely for a long time, there u go

4. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

If you can afford it, got with 2 gigs. Vista will run just fine on 1gig though. But it will run much better on 2.

5. LinkedKube

lol how do you guys distinquish "just fine" and "much better" because I thought to us enthusiast "just fine"= "much better"

6. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 487

I am running vista ultimate edition and its going pretty good with my 1GB of RAM.

7. sellmesanity

sellmesanity TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 162

Alright, I will just wait for the prices to drop a little then i'm getting the ram. Hopefully everything will be super snappy. Thanks guys. Any more testimonials are welcome!

8. halo71

Its the same thing that some people say about XP not being able to run smoothly on 256mb or less. Which is totally wrong. By "just fine" I mean that Vista will run just fine. But I think it does run better on 2 gigs, this is why I added a gig to my laptop 3 weeks after I bought it! I could have gotten by with a gig. But I wanted to see how much better 2 gigs were and I am glad that I did. All I am saying is that Vista will run smoothly on a gig and not like a 3 legged dog as some would say.

9. LinkedKube

I guess my issue is that I dont think he posted this thread to "just get by" like a 3 legged dog in which he could do. I think he found "techspot" and not the "dell forums" for that reason, but I do entirely agree with you. cheers :)

10. halo71

Wel yeah you are right, all we were trying to say I guess is IF he is in doubt of whether to spend the dough on another gig, maybe he should see what he thinks of just having a gig first. Which by the way. I had 2 512 chips. So I had to buy 2 1 gig chips and they were around $120 each. He may have not even realize this at the moment. That is assuming IF he asking this about a laptop he has or is planning to buy.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.