Vista Auto Update options unable to be changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradthegreat

Okay, so I've been running Vista on my machine since last summer and just recently encountered a very annoying thing. I always just leave my computer on for weeks at a time, so when I wake up and find that it has rebooted, I am very annoyed. I checked the auto update page and it is set to install updates automatically at 3AM without prompting or anything. This causes the machine to download updates while I am asleep, install them and reboot the system, causing me to lose work in programs I have open.

To make matters worse, I can't change any of the options. It says that "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." What does that mean? I am the only user, I have an admin account and have disabled UAC...why can't I change it? This is very annoying as it won't even tell me when it has updates - just reboots!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh, one more thing - I am at a college...I am only plugged in to their network and registered with the system. I am not on the domain or anything, so they can't push policies like that to me, can they?

aha! solved my own problem. If anyone runs into this, the solution is in the Group Policy editor. START>RUN?gpedit.msc. Expand Administrative Templates>Windows Components and click on Windows Update. There is a big list of configs that you can do that I had not configured. I don't know why it changed, but I was able to get it working...just FYI for anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back