Vista basic or Premium better for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPCE_Larry

Considering that vista basic lacks the aero interface (if I've read things correctly) and has lower system specs than home premium will it slow down a computer as much as home premium? I say this because I want to upgrade to vista for various reasons, but I've seen the performance hit that can do to your computer (tomshardware, other places).

The Basic version has less features, therefore less services running in the background by default.

However, you can use the classic interface in Home Premium, as well as tweak it by disabling unnecessary services etc., so I'd still pick Home Premium.

Are there features that are part of Home Premium that are not in Basic that are good enough to justify the large increase in price? Cash is not something I have in abundance.

Essentially my question is thus: If I buy home basic will that be sufficient for standard office use and heavy gaming, with some but not tons of media related usage.

The thing is, I bought a nice dx10 8800gts and I really really want to play halo 2 vista, and i figure most of the new games are going to be coming out for Vista anyway.

Not to mention, I can get home basic for the price of an oem xp off ebay. I deffinitally understand that there is a performance drop, but unfortunately what choice do I have to play future games? Unless someone manages to emulate dx10 for xp or Linux, I'm sorta stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back