Vista BSOD - Page Fault in NonPaged Area - with minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verph

Greetings everyone.

I bought this HP Pavilion desktop not too long ago, and it came with windows vista home basic.. the problem is, every once in a while, I "think" even from the beginning, I keep getting a blue screen.. with the infamous "page fault in nonpaged area" error. sometimes it's when I'm playing music or a video, andsometimes it's just when the computer is sitting there doing nothing.

there used to be not one day where it didn't come. it always came. maximum was 10 times a day. now it's much less though. last time was yesterday. it happened twice. it also happened a lot when I was installing SQL server 2005 express (2 days ago...)

anyway.. I have no idea what's going on.. I have like, 98 minidumps from 24/5/2007 till 12/7/2007.

I've attached the last 10 minidumps. if u need anything else.. please let me know. it goes, minidump1.zip, minidump2.zip, n then the last one..

thanks in advance. I hope this problem can be solved....

Attachments

• Minidump1.zip
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
It is good you gave so many minidumps because in the middle of one, #8 in fact, I think we might have found your issue. It is wininit.exe and this is a serious trojan. See the following:

wininit.exe - Here is the scoop on Wollf.16 Trojan as it pertains to computer network security. The big question: what is wininit.exe and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of Wollf.16 Trojan?

wininit.exe (Wollf.16 Trojan) - Details
If a process named wininit.exe is running on your computer, you may have been infected with a strain of the Wollf.16 trojan.

wininit.exe is considered to be a security risk, not only because antivirus programs flag Wollf.16 Trojan as a trojan, but also because other sites consider it a Trojan as well.

Wollf.16 Trojan is likely a Trojan and as such, presents a serious vulnerability which should be fixed immediately! Delaying the removal of wininit.exe may cause serious harm to your system and will likely cause a number of problems, loss of data, loss of control or leaking private information.

I strongly suggest running a virus scan A.S.A.P.. If you can access Kaspersky's and Tend-micro's online scanners than by all means do so. Also, you'll want to check the stickies in the Security forum of how to deal with infections.

In two of your minidumps SRTSP.SYS was cited twice and NAVEX15.SYS was cited once and these are drivers for Symantec's antivirus program. It could be that the trojan has compromised your security suite. Regardless, there are issues with these drivers.

Pool_Corruption and Ntkrpamp.exe were listed several times. The latter is required by Windows for applications to work properly and should not be disabled.

At first I thought it might be your RAM and it wouldn't hurt to run Memtest, but first run those scans.

Also, if you don't have one, get a router.

hmm.. so far i haven't realised any weird stuff going on in my computer.. but sure, i'll run the scans. i'm thinking it's my RAM too.. cos the PC was on 512 mb when i was going to buy it a few months ago, and i asked them to upgrade it 1024 mb.. i think it's two sticks of 512 now.. not so sure.

i'll remove symantec completely. i just hate symantec. but it came with the system.. so yea.. hmm.. i'll install KAV later on and do a scan..

well right now i'm not connected to the internet at home, just dialup maybe. dsl was cut when i left for uni.. i'm on holidays over here.. i only have internet back in uni... which is in another country.. but yea the PC was with me over there, and i had a router...

i'll do the scan and everything later tonight when i get back home.. and then i'll inform you of what happened.. in the meantime, if anyone else has any other suggestions, please help..

okay.. so i went back home, installed Kaspersky.. ran a startup and critical areas scan. no threats detected. then i ran a full system scan, and just after a few moments, i got the exact same blue screen again.

i shutdown the system, opened it up, and decided to take a look at my ram sticks.. took 'em out, and man was i pissed. one was a samsung 512 mb (which i think was the one that came with the machine), and the other was a kingston 512 mb (which i had them install before i bought the PC).. i took one out and started the system.. well, for one thing, it got a lot slower .. especially with vista.. so first thing i did is remove all the visual styles.. reduced it to a simple win2000 look.. anyway.. then i ran kaspersky again.. full system scan.. this time it didn't crash. right now it's still running at home.. i'll have to see what happens when i get back. i'll go mad if it's another bluescreen tho.

so far i have not gotten any bluescreen till now.. i think my problem is solved. the different memory sticks were the whole reason.. now, i have the right to go back to them and ask for a replacement right? because when i asked them to upgrade the PC to 1 gig, they were supposed to know that the sticks had to be of the same brand n etc, right? they just put anything in, called me n were like, yeah, u can come n purchase ur computer now.. it's ready.. bla bla bla..

anyway, now it's one samsung and one kingston, should i replace the samsung for another kingston, or the kingston for another samsung?

You should be okay with the RAM. Both are name brands and as long as they are the same kind, voltage requirements, etc. then you'll be fine.

For clarity, are you finding stability with only one stick or both?

i took out the samsung and left the kingston in. i haven't tried using the samsung alone. i might try that later on.. i think it'll be alright hehe.

btw, my graphic card.. it used to show 256 mb in dxdiag, but now it shows 64... i noticed this only after i removed the mem stick.. it may have happened before that, but i'm not sure. i did install some updates that were downloaded by windows update..tho they were all security updates for vista, etc etc..

thanks for all the help btw!

okay, now last night i just had another crash - the first ever since i removed that memory stick.

this is how it happened. i installed winamp. i installed a few skins and a few plugins, and then i started playing some music. all good. after that, i went to work on my project again.. i opened up sql server management studio.. went to restore database, and right when i chose the file to restore and the list of databases appeared, miss bluscreen came out with the same page fault error..

anyway, i rebooted, played music, and did my whole sql thing again.. but this time without any problems.. so i'm not sure what's up.

i've attached the minidump here.

i really appreciate all the help that's been given to me over here. i was about to return the whole system and went online as a last resort before i do so, and fortunately, the initial problem was solved.. now i just have a small little problem that might not be as significant.. problably just one of those crashes that happen once in a while..

it would be great if someone could help me out tho.

thanks..

Minidump faults klif.sys which is a driver for Kaspersky. Many people are having issues with this driver and it has created a vulnerability. I suggest going to their forums and see what can be/has been done to bring correction.

ok i went back and exchanged thr samsung for a kingston of exactly the same type that i have. so now i've got 2 kingstons, 512 mb each. i go back home, with both ram sticks in, and after less than half an hour, i get the old blue screen again!! page fault. now i have the same problem as before. eventviewer, 1001 says bugcheck.. i don't know what that is. please help. desperate here. it crashes even if i'm not using it......

yeah i'm running kaspersky. so is kaspersky the problem? if i uninstall kaspersky, everything will be alright? i mean, it works very weill with only 512 mb ram, why not with 1 gig? well i'll try to uninstall kaspersky tonight, and then i'll stick in the other stick and see what happens. i called them up by the way, and they said i can go back and just change it for a new system, but ofcourse, since i'm out of the country, it's a long way to go back and change the system. i'll do it as a last resort though...

Your minidump pointed to Kaspersky's driver. Many people have had issues with the klif.sys driver And, as I mentioned, Kaspersky isn't quite ready yet for Vista. I suggest that you check out Kaspersky's forums.

Whether or not uninstalling Kaspersky will correct the issue I can't say. I do know your last minidump pointed to their driver and since kaspersky isn't quite ready for Vista I could see some conflicts happening.

As for your RAM, by all means, yes a gig is better. I personally wouldn't run Vista Home Premium without at least 1 gig.

i'll try that. actually, what i meant is, why do i get blue screens with 1 gig of ram but not with 512 mb? that's what's puzzling me. tough stuff. i'll post the latest minidumps later on btw, and i seriously need to learn how to read them. google, u gona get busy.

I would say you are getting issues with your RAM because a) one of your sticks is bad and therefore you need to run memtest on them one at a time to find which one or b) your memory isn't configued properly, i.e., correct slot configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back