Vista Defragment is terrible, what do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

Isn't the defragmenter a pain in the ... ?!

I've set it to defragment yesterday morning and its still going now. Theres no progress bars so I keep it running in hope it'll finish soon. I have a 500gb drive and this is the first time I've defragmented after installing hundreds of games/applications so I assume thats why its taking its sweet time

What other defragmenters do you guys use with Vista x64? I've searched for free ones but would like your opinions

thanks

I don't know of free defragmenters either, but don't find $39.99 for PerfectDisk 8 being too much. It seems you can get 10% off from it now, too.

I use Diskeeper too; it's a great defragger. Check their website for free 30-day trial versions.

There is a derfrag program that is good and free. "Auslogics" is the company. They also have a free registry defrag program. I've been using them for months now with zero problems.

diskeeper is a good program and i used to use it, but couldn't afford the license :blush:

i use IObit SmartDefrag now, it has an "auto defrag" function where it is constantly defragging in the background to keep your pc at it best and you can also schedule it to defrag properly when you want it to

it's a lot like diskeeper but it's free :grinthumb

Thanks I might have to invest in perfect disk/diskeeper now. I'll definately give the trial versions a go. Nothing quite as annoying as a fast computer being choked by a fragmented HDD :mad:

you could try o&o defrag pro 10. i am using o&o defrag since first time i installed xp and i never had anyting to complain about it, and on vista seems to be as good too.

Schmutz said:
Nothing quite as annoying as a fast computer being choked by a fragmented HDD :mad:

on vista, more choking than fragmented files seem to be (in my opinion) the empty registry entries that vista leaves behind by hundreds (i am runing a registry cleaning tool twice a week to keep vista working properly, comparing to the defragmeter wich i run it once every 3 or 4 weeks).

i am using registry mechanic 7 (it's more vista capable than the previous versions) and 'till now it worked just fine. back in the day, when i had xp installed, i've tried other registry cleaning software, but many strange behaviours began to occur ofter using them, so be very carefuly if you want to test this kind of software (as an advice, don't install and use more than one registry cleaner at a time, otherwise you wont be able to tell wich one f...s up your machine).

CCleaner has a registry cleaning function as well as a temporary files cleanup, i use it and haven't got any problems and we recommend it quite a lot here :)

I've used Registry mechanic 7. If I have any problems down the line I can fall back on CCleaner, so thanks for the suggestion mate :)

I wonder if MS will look to improve the defragmenter with Vista Service pack 1/updates... and out of curiosity where is Microsofts integrated registry cleaner anyway? That suggests to me either registry maintenence isn't so effective after all, or Microsoft where busy fishing...

i defrag using the cmd prompt need to run it as admin though just type defrag in cmd and it lists all the cmds .

Techspot does not condone using torrents and cracks etc to obtain software and avoid paying for it. If this program is freeware then using the torrent would be ok but it is recommended to use the developer's website as it is very easy to get viruses from P2P software. Either that or try download.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back