Vista Fails to load, Regular/Safe/Recovery Mode all fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

Hello everyone!

My friend just gave me her laptop to fix(does this happen to anyone else???). The laptop is an Acer Extensa 5620-6830 here are the specs

Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
1 GB DDR2
200 GB HDD
Windows Vista Home Premium

I power on the notebook and it goes through the POST, then begins to load Vista. After about 21/2 minutes it reboots and goes through the whole process over again.

The next time I booted the computer up it exclaimed, Windows failed to load - Choose to either 1.) Start in recovery mode or 2.) start windows normally. I select recovery mode and it gets past the windows loading screen; but then it just displays a black screen. Nothing ever happens.... reboot.

Then I try to boot to safe mode, thinking maybe there is a faulty driver causing the crash. It seems to load all the windows files, but then *BAM* BSOD.... system reboots. I'm not sure how to get to the minidumps if i can't even power up the computer.

Further, any mode from the F8 list crashes the same way.

And now for the worst part, she told me she purchased the machine at a retail giant, whose name I won't mention. She claims that there was never any disks that came with the laptop. No Windows Vista startup cd :/

I'm not sure what to do now.... any ideas?

thanks
maX

I was able to disable the automatic restart on system crash. (I didn't see it in the options after I pressed F8)

The BSOD error reads: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***EDIT***

I did some research on the error. It appears I need to run the chkdsk utility. Is it possible, b / c I can't get into windows, to create a boot disk which will run chkdsk? or is that a dumb question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back