Vista for business

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjrglobal

Can someone give me the pros and cons of switching to vista for my small business. Of course, I was going to test it on my home PC first before installing it on our other 12 PCs (all of which have the capability of required ram, so there won't be any huge expense in buying new equipment), but will it make my staff more effecient? I own a medical clinic and most of the time we will have 10 or more windows open to accomodate the different insurances websites to check patient eligibility. Will the Vista style help that much? By the way if anyone knows how to write script and is in any way familiar with medical software, give me a shout, we could make a mint because everything out there is subpar. At least the ones I've demo'd

My personal opinion is I would wait for the first service pack. Especially if you are installing Vista on existing machines.

Any idea when that will be? I was thinking about just getting it for my home so I could get familiar with it for a couple of months before training the staff.

I would have to say that you should hold off for another 6 months. It won't make your staff more productive for a few reasons. Right now, there is general compatibility problems and glitches. This will hamper your ability to get anything done.

Some people say Vista is more secure. This is half right. First off, there are always security holes in new OS's. This is always a fact for every release. Vista is considered more secure because it uses Digital Rights Management. This can be a good and a bad thing for users. It would be pretty technical to start talking about what could happen if you happen to install a device driver that Vista doesn't "agree" with.

Try reading this website Windows Vista Content Protection. Gives you a little bit of an overview on how this could not be good for business implementation.

I would just wait for SP1 at least. Then they should have most major hiccups ironed out.

Aside from version to use that is best for business, I'm unknown because I don't look into Vista very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back