Vista frequent shutdowns

sybreal

I have HP Pavilion that runs Vista and recently it has been turning off by itself. I cleaned it not too long ago but the problem started today. I don't think its a cooling problem because the back of the computer where the fan is is cool. The system just shuts off but the light stays on.

I noticed that it started happening after I downloaded an update for Skype and one time when I was on the internet I saw multiple tabs open up and caught the word "Skype" before the computer shut off. Do you think uninstalling Skype would help?

Also, when the computer shuts off I cant turn it back on for a few seconds (10-15 seconds).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Do you know if there is any way to check besides buying a replacement? If there isnt any could you point me to where I could buy an inexpensive one?

I updated the BIOS driver with the IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS Update. I also took off the side panel for the tower and everything seems to be fine now. The computer is a bit sluggish though and Core Temp only seems to be registering 1 processor instead of 2.

My computer is: this

Back