TechSpot

Vista frequent shutdowns

By sybreal
Jul 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have HP Pavilion that runs Vista and recently it has been turning off by itself. I cleaned it not too long ago but the problem started today. I don't think its a cooling problem because the back of the computer where the fan is is cool. The system just shuts off but the light stays on.

I noticed that it started happening after I downloaded an update for Skype and one time when I was on the internet I saw multiple tabs open up and caught the word "Skype" before the computer shut off. Do you think uninstalling Skype would help?

Also, when the computer shuts off I cant turn it back on for a few seconds (10-15 seconds).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The power supply might be failing...

3. sybreal

sybreal TS Rookie Topic Starter

Do you know if there is any way to check besides buying a replacement? If there isnt any could you point me to where I could buy an inexpensive one?

4. Tmagic650

What is the make and wattage rating of your current power supply?

5. sybreal

How do I check?

6. sybreal

I opened it up and it says:

MODEL NO. PS-5251-08
    DC OUTPUT: 250W

Is that what you wanted?

7. Tmagic650

Okay good, now what is your computers make and model?

8. sybreal

I updated the BIOS driver with the IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS Update. I also took off the side panel for the tower and everything seems to be fine now. The computer is a bit sluggish though and Core Temp only seems to be registering 1 processor instead of 2.

My computer is: this

9. Tmagic650

Is the computer fully updated using Windows Update?