TechSpot

Vista Install problem

By beerabuser30
Jan 30, 2010
  1. A friend gave me their computer to look at. It is really messed up, I try a repair and it won't do it says everything is ok, then at the end says "registry is corrupt". He says their is nothing really important on it so I decide to do a fresh install. Once it gets part way through it says can't update registry. Why would it say that? I formatted the drive so there is absolutely nothing on it and did a clean install. It now says "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows restart the installation".

2. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 200

Tried a clean Windows 7 install as well. Guessing it might be hardware related. Any guesses on if it would be hard drive or ram?

3. beerabuser30

I eventually go it to work. I used Windows 7 boot disk and made one big drive. Everything runs well now except that the sticker on the computer says it is 160gb hard drive and I am only showing 80. What do you guys think?

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

I think, for what it is worth, that you may have installed the OS into two partitions on the same drive.
    Have a look in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and this will show you the drives present and what partitions are installed.
    Tell us what you see?

5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Or if it isn't the case; it should show you 'unused' space as well.

6. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

True - and some limited tools to change things too.

7. beerabuser30

It showed 80gb. I had to return it so I'll probably never know now, just seemed like such a strange thing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.