TechSpot

Vista keeps shutting off my internet!

By HaLo2FrEeEk
Feb 22, 2008
  1. Yes, I don't know what the problem is, but it's happened with two different situations:

first, I was downloading stuff in BitComet. BC could be running with no problems, but downloading stuff made problems, and it would kill my (usb) internet adapter (wireless).

second, I had a labelmaker for my new lightscribe drive open (only thing I can think of) and it shut off.

Same thing everytime too, it shuts off the usb port, for anything, I can plug in my usb headset to the port and it won't work.

It's getting really annoying becuase simply changing the usb port doesn't help, I have to restart the computer to reset that usb controller.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

perhaps you have an infection. Have you scanned, etc.?

3. HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 225

I keep a clean installation of my OS, like, monthly, and I don't have viruses, I use AVG, it's always up to date, and it's done this since the day I installed Vista. Two different programs. It didn't do it for about 3 weeks between BitComet and this last time, so I don't know what's up.

4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Mentioning a couple of things: doing a "routine" OS reinstall every month is not warranted. OS re-installs should be saved for the time when "nothing" else will fix a problem, not used as routing maintenance.

The fact that you use BitComment means you do files sharing. That is not secure way to run a system. The system is open to getting malware on every file you share, either a download you make or every access into the system by someone wanting a file,

You need to learn how to troubleshoot instead of 'throwing out the bath water'!

You mention AVG- is this the AV and/or the spyware/adware program? Do you have a firewall? Do you have at least two spyware/adware programs. And as mentioned, do you scan with all of your security programs regularly, updating each right before the scan?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.