Vista or XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloppy998

Hey everyone, just a quick question. I am intending to build a pc for gaming and i was just wondering which operating system would be best? I have heard vista is not very good for gaming because it requires too many resourses, is this true? Thx in advance!

For me the only reason i choose vista is because of DX10 and prolly the new look, the rest is negative.. Also if you choose one of them, be sure to choose the 32 bit version as the 64bit one is unstable and is not compatible with all the app's and drivers. Good luck on making your choice

Sadly Vista is best
Because many new games are now being designed for Vista

You can remove many services and securities in Vista once installed (even make it look similar to Xp)

But for gaming Vista is now better

Well Yeah, Absolutely Positively Maybe......But

PCWorld magazine recently tested Vista (with SP-1) and found (or so they say) that XP still outperforms Vista in almost every area.
This information can be found in the May 2008 issue of PCWorld magazine Beginning on page 105.

I'm going to sit here and wait for the results of kimslands' scientific testing before I make my final decision.:p

You know if you keep watching someone, you'll eventually find a fault.

I already know your reply. "Eventually?"

:)

I don't game, so, I can't say from first hand experience (nor have I read up on it as it doesn't affect me), however, coming from an observational stand-point, I seem to notice more issues along the lines performance and compatibility (drivers etc) with Vista than XP on this board. In more than one thread, playing games such as Crysis with DX10 on Vista resulted in pretty lousy frame rates. I'm not sure how wide-spread that is, though.

Personally, I'd probably use XP at the moment if I already owned a copy of it. If I were going to pay for an OS, I'd buy Vista, because I assume at some point down the road, kinks will be worked out and things will be refined, as they usually are with operating systems. Plus, there will obviously be improvements in hardware, so Vista/DX10 won't seem as heavy.

Well, Not Quite.......

kimsland said:
You know if you keep watching someone, you'll eventually find a fault.

I already know your reply. "Eventually?"

:)

There are probably a number of fairly adequate reasons for touching your toes and accepting M$ 's "blessing" of Vista. The impending discontinuance of support for XP as an example. Sadly, performance isn't one of them.

"Eventually" is a non-measured unit of time. Accordingly, one person's "eventually" might drag on and on, while another's might seem to fly by in an instant.:haha:

captaincranky said:
The impending discontinuance of support for XP as an example.
I think you mean the discontinuance of sales, not support. XP support will be here for many more months.

Yeah, What He Said......

Didou said:
I think you mean the discontinuance of sales, not support. XP support will be here for many more months.

Yes I did misspeak badly.

I don't know if I got my facts from a reliable source, (I have to say that, since I forgot where I got them), but XP pro will continue to be supported for seven years ! (or ?, as the case may be)

If this is so, people might want to consider bumping your "Christmas present to self" up to May this year.

Anyway, "support" is another one of those vague concepts which mean different things to different companies. We can only watch and hope that Microsoft will apply due diligence and enthusiasm to maintaining their XP product.

They won't bring out new features on it that's a given (at least not after the 3rd service pack) but security updates should still show up at regular intervals.

Of course gaming wise with DirectX 10 nowhere to be seen on XP, I can imagine certain games down the line won't work at all on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back