Vista standard user log on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista home premium loaded (to a new computer) and running fine for several months.
I am set up as the administrator with a standard user account for my son.
Have just added the computer to a home network and applied some standard parental control settings to my son's account.

Initial start up screen, however, prompts for my admin account password and there does not appear to be a way to switch to logging in as a standard user instead.

Is there a straightforward way to resolve this? Not sure if this is a problem unique to vista, but there user account help info does not seem to address it anywhere.

My first post so, 1. Apologies for rudimentary nature of question 2. Thanks for any help you can provide!

thanks for the post jq.

Unfortunately, all that appears on the basic blue screen (apart from the password dialogue box) is a 1. Bottom left - A blue 'ease of access' icon which provides features such as 'hear text on screen read aloud' but no user switching option. 2. The red 'shutdown' button at bottom right.
Presumably I should be seeing something else, which has been disabled possibly.

one more option is try to log in with your account and then click start then the little arrow next to the shutdown button, and see if you have the option to switch user. this may help get you into that account the first time and then maybe give you the icon on the Blue screen.

Jq,
Thanks for the suggestion. Have just tried this, but vista is still not co-operating.
Just as a check, have opened user account control and turned on the 'guest account' provided.
This has immediately appeared on the initial blue screen as an icon next to my admin icon & can be logged onto without a problem from there. I can also switch between those two user accounts.

All 3 accounts appear in the user control panel and can be managed\amended as normal. Strangely, vista is still only offering two of the three as log on options at start up.
Spoke to a friend recently who experienced the same thing - but fairly quickly gave up on setting up a standard user account & now always logs on as administrator.

solved

Well,hopefully.
I tried this twice early in the process, without success. For some reason, it worked when I tried it today.
I just deleted the existing standard user account from user account control & restarted. Set up a fresh standard user account, restarted, and it now appears, as it should, as a logon option on the initial blue screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back