Vista Stop Error - Frequent Occurance; Need Assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrigidParadox

Alright, first I'd like to say that I'm sixteen and haven't had to deal with the aspects of seriously trouble-shooting a computer until very recently, so I'm not entirely familiar with everything. It would be greatly appreciated if instructions could be given in a a more clueless-person friendly manner (I'm not clueless, but simplicity in terminology and extra details in instructions would definitely help).

Alright, I'm running Windows Vista Home and Windows XP Home SP2 on separate hard drive partitions. I've attached the only three minidumps from XP, but Vista keeps denying me permission to upload any of the twenty or so minidumps from it. The XP minidumps are older than the Vista minidumps, because I haven't used XP in a few days. If someone could tell me how to force Vista to grant me access to those minidumps, I'll attach the five most recent from it, too. The Vista minidumps are much more recent (as recent as ten minutes ago) and probably would be more useful in troubleshooting...

I ran windows debugger on the most recent from Vista and saw that "ntkrpamp.exe" is the suspected culprit, but I don't have the faintest idea of what I should do next with that.

If there's any more information I need to post or anything that needs to be clarified, just tell me what you need to know. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to assist me with this!

Vista Minidump File Size

I figured out how to bypass the security measures on vista, but the minidump files from Vista are too large to attach in this forum. If the problem can't be discerned from the XP minidumps, I can email the Vista minidumps or post them at another location.

Thank you.

Vista Minidumps

Alright, here are my five most recent minidumps from my Vista partition. The most recent was within the last hour. The BSoDs are getting more frequent, and I believe one of them was different from the usual ones; I believe it mentioned something about memory, rather than just a driver error.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'm getting very desperate!

Ugh...

Within seconds of my last post, I crashed to a very different BSoD; it has far less text and mentioned uninstalling anti-virus software.

Un-install your antivirus and run it without long enough to see if that's it. Vista can be touchy regarding certain anti-virus pgms.

We cannot possibly offer assistance with all the issues that may be involved without knowing a lot more about your computer. Give full details about brand, model, video card, and memory.

You likely will NOT get any useful information from those dumps, unless you have an infestation, which I doubt.

Your system probably has nothing to do with ntkrpamp.exe. That is a normal Microsoft Windows Process. All you can do is check to assure it is stable. ntkrpamp.exe must not be disabled as it is required for key apps to work.

But you can check to see if ntkrpamp.exe has an infestation, or has been replaced by evil stuff... if you use good antivirus and antispyware.
Free scans by two or three good programs are the first order of the day. Then if anything is discovered, remove them in normal mode, then Safe Mode. Then download an run the latest version of HiJackThis and post the results here for the experts quick look. The dumps you posted are not helpful at this point.

I suspect you have simple software or hardware settings errors or hardware mismatch problems, or VISTA and XP install errors, or driver errors. I would run the free MemTest86 for four hours or 7 passes, which ever takes longer. That is mainly to rule out that possibility.
Then reexamine your heat sink and CPU for thermal past and rotational stability.
Go to www.microsoft.com and re-read everything in their knowledgebase for Dual Boot setups... and be sure you understand all their requirements and recommendations before you get fancy with other software. Also do some online searchs for "Dual Boot errors"... as it is possible you have some major trouble shooting to be done.
Then if you are satisfied your install is correct, download and run the free CCleaner (carefully following the instructions).
Then review the manual for each component installed.

Specs

Alienware Aurora m9700
RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Graphics Card: 256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache

Thank you. We will continue to look at workups for this problem. In our experience over the past seven months, there have been a number of hardware errors which are probably motherboard problems since Dell bought the company... but which started prior to Dell's purchase.
You will want to talk to Dell Tech Support if it is still under warranty.

One of the dumps has crashed with CPU_CALL_ERROR, and this is a sign of a hardware problem. You can try googling CPU_CALL_ERROR, here's one that I found. https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-36556-computer-crashes-when-playing-games.html

STACK_TEXT:
93b75d18 900c1a5d a5010eec 0027e4d0 a5010eec win32k!bFastFill+0x406
93b75d38 81c8c96a a5010eec 0027e4d8 775c0f34 win32k!GreCreateCompatibleDC+0x1c
93b75d38 775c0f34 a5010eec 0027e4d8 775c0f34 nt!KiFastCallEntry+0x12a
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
0027e4d8 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x775c0f34

STACK_COMMAND: .trap 0xffffffff93b75ca8 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hardware

IMAGE_NAME: hardware

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUCKET_ID: CPU_CALL_ERROR

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
*** Possible invalid call from 900c1a58 ( win32k!GreCreateCompatibleDC+0x17 )
*** Expected target 900e86e3 ( win32k!MDCOBJ::MDCOBJ+0x0 )

Help?

I've tried every suggestion that has been made to no avail. Nothing I tried presented any errors or anything. Surely there must be something else I can try. Please, I need help!

Borrow another hard drive, and reinstall everything on it, or do a full format and reinstall everything on that hard drive. A clean install may fix it all.

It appears you have a difficult hardware problem, and those are sometimes difficult to deal with online.

If it were mine, I would run just Windows XP alone for a couple of weeks, and see how it does, then run VISTA for a couple of weeks.

It is possible your particular system has difficulties with the dual install, and may never get over it.

Good luck. I know this isn't the answer you want, but you need more mileage on you to do what you want to do.... you will certainly have it when you are done with this project.

Part of the problem here is that very very few techs have any interest in that sort of a dual boot scenario... and VISTA is too new for any experince to have built up.

Perhaps you will become our expert before it is all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back