Vista takeown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled an internal storage drive that was password protected from my xp computer that nolonger works. I installed it into my computer running Vista. After manually changing the security settings to take ownership of each individual files (thousands) I was denied access to the entire drive. I rebooted in safe mode took ownership of the entire drive went to command prompt and entered, takeown /f . /r to take ownership of the contents of the drive. I can access all folders but I can not access files, i.e. music, pictures etc. I then enter the cacls command to try and change the permissions. The permissions say that I am the owner of the files and that I have full control so why can't I access the files?

I have valueable files that I would like to keep so any help on resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When you take ownership, you need to tick "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

on security tab click "advanced"> "Click Owner"> "click edit"> highlight Your Account or the Administrators under "change owner to" (administrators is best option as you are a member of that group)

>tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" at the bottom.> apply close the properties box

> in "advance settings for....etc" select permissions tab > click "change permissions" > tick "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" > apply > ok all property dialogues and log off and on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back