Vivaldi, the web browser for power users, finally gets its version 1.0 release

midian182

Staff member

When it comes to web browsers, if you consider yourself a ‘power user’ and feel that the likes of Chrome and Firefox lack certain features as a way of making them more accessible, then Vivaldi could be for you.

Working with a “team of browser building pioneers,” Vivaldi founder Jon von Tetzchner – co-founder and former CEO of Opera – has set out to make “web browsers powerful again” with the launch of Vivaldi 1.0.

“There is really a need for a different kind of product in the market,” said von Tetzchner. “And so we decided to build a browser with rich functionality.”

Following a long period of public development, the official 1.0 version of Vivaldi is released today. It comes with a slew of features, including the ability to drop tabs on top of each other to organize open pages into groups, tab tiling and web panels that let you see multiple pages inside the browser at the same time, a note-taking tool that supports images, and an optional command line-like interface.

Additionally, you can assign specific browser actions to mouse gestures or keyboard shortcuts. Vivaldi also comes with a dizzying amount of customization options; there are over “1 million different ways to make Vivaldi your perfect browser,” according to the company.

Using Google’s Blink engine, Vivaldi takes up less memory than Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, and it supports most Chrome add-ons, should you want them. The only things missing at launch are synchronization and email, but the team is working on these.

There are Windows, OS X and Linux versions available, and the company is planning to bring Vivaldi to the mobile platform, too.

Vivaldi definitely isn’t a browser for casual users, but that’s not its main market. Head over to our download page for Vivaldi if you want to give it a try. After only a few hours using the 1.0 version, I think Vivaldi could become my browser of choice.

Permalink to story.

I'm going to give it a go. Sounds interesting and I like the inclusion of supporting Chrome add-ons.

Tab tiling and web panels sounds pretty cool to have in the browser, especially having something like a timer list or something like a twitter feed on the sides of the browser and your main tab area in the middle... I could dig that.

I just want stability and no collection of browsing data...no browser is currently capable of doing both...

As hard as Microsoft is forcing Win10 on users, I'm surprised Vivaldi doesn't work on Win10. Guess I'll just have to wait to try this out :(

I just want stability and no collection of browsing data...no browser is currently capable of doing both...
Which one do you fail Firefox on?

If you find it unstable and you're using Windows, have you tried the 64-bit edition? It's far, far better than the 32-bit. When FF 64 for Windows first hit beta, it was already far more stable than x86 FF had been in years.

Which one do you fail Firefox on?

If you find it unstable and you're using Windows, have you tried the 64-bit edition? It's far, far better than the 32-bit. When FF 64 for Windows first hit beta, it was already far more stable than x86 FF had been in years.
both versions of Firefox constantly give me issues. Not like, crash every 10 minute issues, but inconsistencies in page loading, problems with cookies and history and such.

Not for Win 10
How can you possibly launch a new piece of software in 2016 that doesn't run on Windows 10?
As hard as Microsoft is forcing Win10 on users, I'm surprised Vivaldi doesn't work on Win10. Guess I'll just have to wait to try this out :(
I'm running it perfectly fine on Windows 10 here. The website simply states that it runs on Windows (probably meaning all "recent" version of Windows from 7 to 10) and it even uses the Windows icon for Windows 10. Vivaldi been running perfectly fine on Windows 10 ever since the first Technical Preview came out.

So what are the issues that you encountered?

I'm running it perfectly fine on Windows 10 here. The website simply states that it runs on Windows (probably meaning all "recent" version of Windows from 7 to 10) and it even uses the Windows icon for Windows 10. Vivaldi been running perfectly fine on Windows 10 ever since the first Technical Preview came out.

So what are the issues that you encountered?

"This app can't run on your PC" Running Windows 10 Pro. However, I went to Vivaldi's site and downloaded and it works fine. The link from Techspot must be something different. I saw 2 or 3 other people say it wouldn't load on Win10. So for anyone reading this, if it doesn't work, just go straight to Vivaldi;s site and download from there. It'll work.

Well, I'll definitely try it out, but I damn well hope the entire theme can be changed, because its default one is an eyesore.

Having it be Chrome based is not a good sign, though if it's as customizable as Firefox, then it could be come my main browser.

That's basically all I want, Chrome's browser engine with Firefox's customizability and UI (pre-australis).

I'm going to give it a try just for the tab tiling. Currently I often have two FireFox windows open side-by-side because FF doesn't natively allow tiling and the "Tile Tab" extension is so counter-intuitive to use.

I'm going to give it a try just for the tab tiling. Currently I often have two FireFox windows open side-by-side because FF doesn't natively allow tiling and the "Tile Tab" extension is so counter-intuitive to use.

A totally unrelated P.S. ... can anyone tell me how the f*ck to make this forum show my name instead of "NameNotAllowed"? There is nothing in my profile settings that gives any indication of how to do this.

There is nothing in my profile settings that gives any indication of how to do this.
That's because you can't. If you want to change your username, post a request in the Site Feedback and Suggestions forum along with the name you want. It has to be changed by an administrator who will see it in due course.

That's because you can't. If you want to change your username, post a request in the Site Feedback and Suggestions forum along with the name you want. It has to be changed by an administrator who will see it in due course.

I'm quite puzzled about how I got stuck with "NameNotAllowed" in the first place. When I created my account I provided my real name and did nothing to prevent it from being displayed. Seems like a bug in the account creation code.

Back