Vizio shipping 11.6-inch Windows 8 tablet with AMD APU

Rick

Consumer electronics-maker and PC-dabbler Vizio has launched its latest computing device: an 11.6-inch Windows 8 PC-based tablet for $600 (MT11X-A1). The slate features a generously-sized 1080p display, 64GB SSD, 2GB and an AMD Z-60 APU. Pair that up with a 2MP front-facing camera, stereo speakers and Micro HDMI/USB ports and you have yourself a tablet-sized PC, at least in most senses of the word. 

Although the AMD Z-60 its packing is a last-gen part (I.e. Hondo, not Temash), its Radeon HD 6250 should deliver more graphics gusto than most tablets. In terms of computational power though, it should be comparable to Intel's Clover Field -- an okay but not stellar performer that is slated to be quickly overshadowed by upcoming fanless Intel Haswell and AMD Temash options.

Weighing in at 1.8 pounds, the MT11X-A1 is a substantial slab of tablet. By comparison, the 10.1-inch Nexus 10 weighs in at just 1.33 pounds and the third-gen iPad tips the scale at 1.44 pounds. With beefier AMD-based internals though and a 1.5-inch larger screen, the slight bump in heft seems well-justified. The chassis looks sleek (0.4-inch thin) and features an aluminum design with a soft-touch back.

Presumably in an effort to keep the tablet thin and as light as possible, Vizio has packed an unimpressive (but not bad) 33.3 Wh internal battery. A bigger battery though would have been nice to offset the inclusion that Hondo-based APU. As a result, Vizio is advertising "up to 5 hours" of battery life.

Permalink to story.

I don't get why windows 8 tables have so high prices in comparison with android tablets.

Too high but sounds like it's a true 64-bit Windows 8 Pro instead of giving you 32-bit Windows 8 Pro, but I see they limit the memory again to 2GB. You really need more than 4GB. How are they're pricing these tablets is overboard. Android tablets are cheaper but if you want to do Windows stuff Android is limited in those areas.

Maybe one day prices will drop more for x86 and x64 Windows 8/9/10 base tablets. Now Windows 8 RT prices are dropped to $199 that's right for that type of model. Windows 8 Pro 32-bit should be $299 with 2GB and $349 with 4GB. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit should be $399 with 8GB of RAM.

Higher than these prices are just nonsense thinking on Microsoft..

Back