VLC 3.0 to enable Chromecast support across many devices

By Shawn Knight
Feb 18, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. The next major version of VLC's venerable media player will support Google Chromecast. News of the addition was found in a recent VLC changelog that details the changes between version 2.2 and version 3.0 of the popular open-source, cross-platform media...

Read more
  2. So if I decided to stream something to my tv with this device, bandwith gets used right? My ISP is comcast. Sadly.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

The official release version so far is 2.1.5, there is no 2.2 yet. And those releases are very infrequent. Probably will be next year before 3.0 is released...
  4. Den Watsons

Den Watsons TS Rookie

I am using MCPlayer and don't like VLC, too buggy(
    no ac3 or Plex support, wairt for Chromecast(
  5. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

Just use the lan for vlc casting so isp bandwidth doesn't even come into play.
  6. PeterDee

PeterDee TS Rookie

Don't mean to contradict your statement, but regardless of whether you are connected via your LAN or WiFi, it still uses the same amount of bandwidth passing through your Comcast modem out to the internet.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Why would casting to a device on your Local Area Network, go out to the internet and then back to your computer?