TechSpot

Voices gone on dvd-playback

By e-Willem
Aug 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hooked up my speakerset to my pc yesterday, and I'm very pleased with the sound.

The surround-functions work properly, when I play the testsound in SoundMAX-configuration the sounds comes out of the right speakers/directions.

The Problem
    When I play a (legal) dvd with 5.1 surroundsound on it, I can't hear a thing the actors say. It's like a karaoke-option is turned on.
    The moviemusic and soundeffects are perfectly played.
    The voices are turned into a very low-volume low-bass sound.

I tried WinDVD 5, WindowsMediaPlayer & RealPlayer but it all sounds the same.

When in CyberLink PowerDVD I select 4 speakers in stead of 6 the actors voices are heard oke, but the quality of the music and soundeffects degrades big time.
    Selecting 6 speakers sounds the same as the other programs.

What must I do so I can play/hear de original sounds (5.1) from the dvd over my 5.1 speakerset.

My Hardware:
    speakerset: _____ Hercules XPS 5.101 Black
    on-board audio:__ ADI AD1980 SoundMAX® 6-channel audio Codec
    motherboard:____ Asus K8V SE DeLuxe
  2. e-Willem

e-Willem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

I'm back with an answer,

because the "Swap Center/LFE" function within the SoundMAX-driver isn't working, and I did hear voices through the subwoofer I thought, why not plug in the cables (pc-out) for centerspeaker and subwoofer the other way around on my speakerset.
    So I physically swapped them.

And guess what, everything is fine now.

The reason I didn't think of this sooner is because I followed the color-codes red plug in red and white plug in white. The surround test also worked and the color-codes were accurate for front/rear left/right speakers.

Greetings to you All
    e-Willem
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.