Volkswagen's Microbus concept is roomy and quick, seating eight and hitting 60 mph in five seconds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Volkswagen at the Detroit Auto Show has introduced an electric concept vehicle modeled after its popular hippie-era Microbus.

The I.D. Buzz, as it’s being called, is part of the company’s strategy to turn out a million electric vehicles per year by 2025, Bloomberg reports.

In a speech on Sunday just ahead of the show’s opening, Herbert Diess, chief of the namesake VW brand, said they want to reignite America’s love for Volkswagen. The executive added that they are determined to become a relevant and profitable volume manufacturer in the US within the next decade.

Volkswagen, if you recall, was at the center of an emissions cheating scandal that rocked the brand to its core. Bringing back an iconic favorite like the Minibus in a modern form could certainly help the company repair its tarnished image.

The I.D. Buzz concept can accommodate up to eight passengers with an all-electric range of 270 miles. Assuming it ever makes it into production, the people-hauler would also offer fully autonomous driving.

Like most other electric vehicles, it’s also incredibly quick with Volkswagen claiming the prototype can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in around five seconds. For a vehicle of this size and seating capacity, that’s pretty impressive. VW says the auto will be restricted to a top speed of 99 mph.

This is far from the first Microbus concept we’ve seen over the years but I must admit, it’s one of the most aesthetically pleasing to date. Here’s to hoping it makes it out of the concept phase.

Permalink to story.

Does it get caught cheating on emissions standards and lead to massive recalls?

Does it's driver see my SRT badges and try to race me in traffic?

I hate the worlds obsession with 0-60 speed. Also should restrict the top speed to the countries highest allowable speed road. Having said that now, I like the bus and hope is has great success. As for the emissions scandal... I know I couldn't care less as long as they were not harming the air anymore then average.

Make it an all-wheel drive, 4-cylindar hybrid and price it at under $22000 and they've got a winner. Oh, and a name change is mandatory - that's possibly THE stupidest name ever applied to a car model. It sounds like a cartoon character.

I hate the worlds obsession with 0-60 speed. Also should restrict the top speed to the countries highest allowable speed road. Having said that now, I like the bus and hope is has great success. As for the emissions scandal... I know I couldn't care less as long as they were not harming the air anymore then average.
Feel free to buy some 2 cylinder tin car and drive 35 on the freeway, but dont try to ruin driving for the rest of us that want actual cars, and not souped up golf carts.

Feel free to buy some 2 cylinder tin car and drive 35 on the freeway, but dont try to ruin driving for the rest of us that want actual cars, and not souped up golf carts.

How many fallacies in one post.. lets count.
1) What does cylinders have to do with 0-60 speed? They are not mutual.
2) What does tin have to do with 0-60 speed? They are not mutual.
3) What does driving 35 have to do with 0-60 speed? They are not mutual.
4) What does driving 35 have to do with choice of available power? They are not mutual.
5) What does available 0-60 times have to do with "ruining" an experience? They are not mutual.
6) What does ruining it for you have to do with ruining it for everyone else? They are not mutual.
7) What does 0-60 have to with being an actual car? They are not mutual.
8) No such thing as a true Scotsman.
9) In what world does golf carts compare to a car? They are not mutual.

Well, you most certainly set a record I think. lol.

Last edited:
He just meant to not care about how fast it goes from 0 to 60, not that it actually reaches 60, damn. Reading Comprehension -1.

Back