Voltage Modulation - this much normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Hello all,

As you all know I am an overclocker. And I have an issue with my Vcore...

I've set my Vcore to 1.6V, up from the default 1.525V for a P4 such as mine. Now, this all runs fine and well, but when I run a program like CPU-Z or even ASUS Probe it displays my Vcore as anywhere between 1.6V and 1.65V. This may seem nebulous to you, but, I can't set my Vcore any higher than 1.6V because it won't boot, like not even on 1.625V (even though it runs at 1.65V).
I think that's because my PSU must tack on another .5V to the Vcore - even though it varies. And I would like to set my Vcore higher as I'll be able to overclock more, and my CPU can handle it.

Anyway - my question is, is a .05V variation in voltage normal? That seems fairly respectable since my system board supports voltage modification in .025V steppings. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was normal, because I'm just wondering if I can overclock more. Or if this is an issue with my PSU - I have an Enermax 350W, that I need to replace because I have like 6 case fans, 5 hard drives, 2 CDROMs, and 2 CCFLs. Not to mention a P4 and a freakin GeForce FX :rolleyes: I'm building a 2nd machine anyway, and will probably buy a new case for my P4 and put my Duron 850 in this Thermaltake case.

Thanks for your time :)

Lately I've been writing some looong posts :confused:

It seems to be normal, in a way, as according to your PSU specs (if that's the one) voltage varies -+5%. (Calculate yourself how much 0.05V is from 1.6V :p)

However, you don't get the CPU core voltage directly from the PSU, it goes through mainboard's components, and it has capacitors to smoothen variations too. I guess the quality of mainboard components plays some role here.

Well, 5% of 1.6 is .08, so the system board does help smoothen it out, I've only seen it vary by .05V. So I suppose that's normal, I wonder what my next PSU will be like.

Thanks Mict :)

most components in a computer are designed to have a +/-10% tolerence, theough this is when running at spec, when you modify these specs, you toss all that out the window. If these are PSU voltages then they won't be affected by this and +/-10% is still the general tolerence for a PSU unless iit has built in conditioning, those with conditioning have a tolerence of 5% or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back