Volvo reaffirms plans to conduct public test of self-driving cars in 2017

Shawn Knight

Staff member

volvo google apple audi mercedes-benz self-driving car autonomous driving drive me f 015 luxury in motion

Volvo has reaffirmed plans to conduct a public test of its autonomous driving system in 2017. Unlike some other auto makers that have demonstrated controlled (albeit, still impressive) tests with self-driving cars, Volvo’s Drive Me program will take place on public roadways in Sweden.

Volvo first unveiled plans for its Drive Me program back in 2013 and with more than a year of testing now under their belt, the company feels more confident than ever about its planned public pilot that’ll take place around the city of Gothenburg.

volvo google apple audi mercedes-benz self-driving car autonomous driving drive me f 015 luxury in motion

During a recent press conference on the subject, Volvo R&D chief Peter Martens highlighted the fact that they’ll be doing it in real traffic with real customers and real cars. In an obvious jab at rivals Audi and Mercedes-Benz, he said it’s relatively easy to put together a mockup of what a car’s interior might look like in 10 years or demonstrate a show car that drives around race circuits.

Martens is of course referencing Audi’s stunt last October in which one of its 560 horsepower RS 7s loaded with an autonomous driving system performed a lap around the Hockenheimring Baden-Wurttemberg circuit at racing speeds.

The mockup Martens spoke of, meanwhile, happened at last month’s Consumer Electronics Show where Mercedes-Benz showed off the F 015 Luxury in Motion concept car. This Jetsons-style vehicle has seating for four in an arrangement that’s more akin to a living room than a vehicle.

Permalink to story.

I'm looking forward to the day when the 6 hour drive home to my dear sweet mom is a 5 hour autonomous drive where I play video games on my VR headset.

Volvo people must be $hitting themselves. The new XC90 set a new record for overselling several months before the serial production started. And I mean ever!

This is why you see them over-advertise like crazy, everywhere. Last but not least push by Volvo. The new XC90 so far has been a hot cake in car rumour-mill and pre-reviews.

Volvo people must be $hitting themselves. The new XC90 set a new record for overselling several months before the serial production started. And I mean ever!

This is why you see them over-advertise like crazy, everywhere. Last but not least push by Volvo. The new XC90 so far has been a hot cake in car rumour-mill and pre-reviews.
Have you seen the campaign for getting a car overseas and free trip for you and your spouse from Volvo. Win win for both parties and Volvo gets to dodge import taxes on their vehicles. I totally think Volvo is doing a good job and this only supports intuitive thinking on their part.

Back