Volvo's self-driving cars are making progress in first road tests

By Shawn Knight
May 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Volvo's autonomous car project, known as Drive Me, is ahead of schedule. Late last year, the company announced plans to test self-driving vehicles on public roadways within a few years but Volvo has already started real-world testing of what they...

Read more
  2. Yashiru

Yashiru TS Rookie

Wondering how would the car behave if it encounter an unplanned road work?
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Or even better if it went offroad.... and google has like what 5yrs+ expertice in this area and they arent even a car company lol! Everyones late to the party and google has already gotten 5yrs+ experience on their CV now thats making a difference!
    Yashiru likes this.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

I am more concerned with the disappearance of lane lines in construction areas.
  5. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

I'd be far more concerned with poor visibility and bad traction control. I got to drive an Uncle's luxury sedan that has electronic stability assist, traction control, blind spot monitoring, lane tracking assist, etc. and that still won't maintain traction at all times in the winter where I live (midwest US). Every year there are a number of accidents in my city due to snow and ice, and I doubt that self driving cars can properly account for such conditions. There is no sensor in existence that I know of that can measure snow depth and ice formations on the road while moving over 25mph. Even with snow tires on your car, you can still easily drift around corners without meaning to.
  6. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 86

I guess it's fine to have auto-pilot as an option, but I'd prefer manual driving anyday.
  7. I can't see a future for truck drivers.
  8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,108   +1,376

I was thinking of a zombie firmware patch for this thing, so when the dead rise in your way you can activate the juice splatter mode. That'll be fine.
    RenGood08 likes this.
  9. Does this car drive itself even when there are no occupants inside?
  10. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

I think it'd be cool to have autopilot in my car. Like if its a long trip and I want a nap I can go to autopilot...then again I don't think I'd fully trust it even then. I'd have my son in the car with me. If they can perfect it...I'd be interested. But for now, I prefer to have control than my car.