Voodoo 5 and motherboard compatibility?

By johnbyte
Mar 18, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voodoo 5 and best motherboard

Hello there,

I was planning on upgrading my system, but a I've heard that Voodoo 5 is not compatible with some of the motherboards out there. Do you know of a very good mobo+card combo for an AMD Athlon 1500+ CPU. If so, what are your experiences with. Also what model of mobo do you have? Thanks.
  2. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

Go here for AMD recommended M/B's

AMD M/B list

Here for heatsink's

AMD Heatsink list

And here for power supplies

AMD Power supply list

Hope that helps. There is a vast wealth of info there, and you can cruize the forums for other's thoughts. Try to get a board combo that suites YOUR needs, not ours ;)
  3. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Welcome

I know some users have reported problems running in windows XP with a Voodoo5 but not much about motherboards having problems with it. Could you post what you have heard?

Windows XP software compatibility site

Have a read here for information on tweaking and getting the most out of your voodoo card:
    3dspotlight Voodoo 4/5 Tweak guide

The Voodoo5 should meet AGP regulartory dimensions so I can't see how there would be a problem... And the power supplied to all modern motherboard AGPs should be fine for it too. Saying that I have no hands on experience with the Voodoo5 but we have several regular members who own them, so hopefully they will be able to clear things up further.
  4. johnbyte

johnbyte Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

What I heard is that some the voltage in some newer Intel MoBo is not compatible with this card. BTW, I have Windows98 SE.
  5. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

[I haven't heard anything about this but since your looking at using an AMD cpu and intel don't do chipsets for AMD cpus (fun that ;) ) you should be ok.
    But I suggest you wait and see what our Voodoo5 owning members have to add.
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

There was an issue with V5 Cards & the P4 motherboards ( that was when the P4 just came out mind you ). You could only use V4 cards.

I think this isn't a problem anymore.
  7. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

If the motherboard AGP slot uses...... 1.5 volts only (I think) then the voodoo 5 won't work with it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.