Voodoo Heatpipe Cooling System

By lowman
Mar 4, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wanted anyone's opinion on VoodooPC's Heatpipe Cooling System - no fans, totally silent and apparently (according to them) one hell of a cooling system. Of course they charge an arma dn a leg...just wanted some input from you all as to what you think about this approach to cooling a performance PC.
  2. lowman

lowman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 446

OK - no takers...let's close this thread...
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Well maybe no one knows this cooling system you're talking about ( I know I don't ).

Any links you could provide on the matter ? ;)
  4. lowman

Good idea...here's a link...kinda funky...(I stupidly assumed the higher echelon of experience would consider it old news)

Specs page for one model of desktop...see the explanations towards the bottom:

http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/f50.aspx
  5. lowman

And very pricey I might add...they're trying to carve their own niche from Alienware's turf and a few others...I'm sure they are cool PCs, but I tricked one out on their site, and was over $11,000.00 in NO TIME...
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

That case is actually from Zalmann & has the particularity of being entirely passive.

There isn't a single fan in the whole system. The case is used as a huge heatsink to dissipate the heat from the CPU ( transfered from the CPU via heatpipes to the case panels ) & all the other components.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More picture -> Nokytech ( it's in French ).
  7. Moimit

Moimit Newcomer, in training Posts: 136

that looks like a good idea but it will have to be worked on. it would be quiet. but is it worth the price tag?? i think not just pay out for some bigger sinks and a heap of arctic silver.
  8. lowman

I'll never spend that kind of dough on a system...I just wanted people's opinions on the actual "physics" they have applied to tese types of systems...the idea of an almost completely silent system (no fans) is rather enticing...

Thnaks for the feedback Didou...
  9. (=DoM=)

(=DoM=) Newcomer, in training Posts: 242

im thinking about getting a water cooling system pretty soon, i spose what people worry about and what they've been brought up thinking is ELECTRICITY + WATER = BAD, i know i have, but i think if/when water cooling comes into the mainstream (and i dont think it will do) it will become pretty normal to buy completely silent PC's that are water cooled, although i think Fans will play the primary role of cooling for a few years yet, saying that tho, cooling with heatsinks and fans is such an old technology i think there should deffinately be some kind of breakthrough by now in cooling, either that or cooler CPU's.

Toms Hardware had the right idea, Liquid Nitrogen is the future!! :grinthumb
  10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Water cooling isn't completely silent, it has a pump that keeps the water moving and usually fans in the radiator.

LN2 isn't really practical either, it should be a closed system (or it would become quite expensive) and that in turn requires pretty serious compressor to keep it liquid.
  11. lowman

Good points again Mic...I'd have to agree with you there - if the trade off is combersome and expensive add-ons, I'm happy to stick with my fans...cranking up my surround sound drowns out the soft purr of my fans anyway...

I just wanted to see what you all thought of Voodoo's stuff...

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Well I think heatpipe is a neat invention, I'd like to have a passively cooled CPU heatsink using them. They're just quite expensive and I haven't seen one for Socket A.

My graphics card hasn't overheated with its heatpipe setup either, no fans :)
  13. lowman

Understood, and agreed. Thanks for your input...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.