Vshinit.vxd

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie61

How do I correct this problem on my computer running
Windows 98
On bootup the following message appears:
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or an application.
The windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file,but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose,try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file. C:\windows\system\vshinit.vxd

Thanks,
Charlie

This file is a McAfee AV file that you deleted, and is still being called by System.ini, or the Registry. First open System.ini in Notepad or with Sysedit, search for file name, and if you find it, delete entire line. If it's not in System.ini then run Regedit, and find filename. Again delete line where found, continue search with F3, till it says finished. close regedit, and reboot

Hi gbhall,

I can't get this to work. It says file not found. I must be doing something wrong.
Can I run a registry cleaner and take care of this?

Thanks,
Charlie

Vshinit.vxd is related to McAfee VirusScan for Windows 98/Me.
Vshinit.vxd is required for using VirusScan software.

Another options to handle this is:
The most probable cause for the error is not that you are missing the file but during startup the file is being referenced by the registry and it does not exist. Did you recently remove McAfee or Do you currently have McAfee installed?

Click on Start and Run.
Type Regedit and click OK.
Browse to the following location.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Vshinit
Delete that Key.

NOTE: Backup the Registry before making the change.

Thanks gbhall, I think I will try to reload McAfee AV and see if that corrects the problem.

Re-installing and removing followed immediately by a reboot ought to cure the problem, but all too often, poorly-written uninstalls simply do not do the job. In that case, check the McAfee site to see if they supply a separate and 'full' uninstaller package, as many AV people eventually had to do so. Since there were so many different versions, even that may not work. You need to check for references to that vxd in

The Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files
The load= and run= lines at the beginning of Win.ini
The system.ini file
The registry.

I remember at work having a similar problem - a .vxd file deleted by some cretin who just deleted rather than uninstalled, a product. As far as I remember, the reference occurred in an unexpected place - could have been win.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back