Vundo; Infostealer; W32 Spybot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshock

My Trend program picked up one virus and supposedly "handled" it. My browser started trying to load pages, but Trend prevented. I obviously had some issues going on so I scanned with Trend and got no probs. Went to Symantec's online scanner and found trojan.vundo; infostealer.gampass; w32spybot.worm. Tried a few fixes, still had probs with the browser trying to access sites. Thank goodness for Trend stopping it, even though I am fairly annoyed it did not detect any malware on the scans. Why is that? I even tried going online to Trend and using Housecall - still no probs. Trend is supposed to be good stuff, right? Also, during my "fixes" Trend and Windows Security started giving me messages that they couldn't do updates or turn on the firewall, or protect against changes. Also, I couldn't get Super Anti-Spyware to update. Kept telling me that my firewall was preventing, although I did not have either Windows or Trend firewall active at the time.

In any event, I followed the protocal and have attached the logs from my scans. Any help is much appreciated - thanks!

Hi jshock

Ive had a look through you log and everything appears clean.

However as to your problem as to why Super anti spyware wont update is a mystery.

Please for the record download Spybot S&D from Here

Install it and see if you can update. If you can update run the program with a FULL SCAN and then attach the log file to your next post. IF you cannot update download and install the latest update from Here

Also download the latest definitions for Superanti Spyware from here. Run it and install and you will have the latest SAS. Run a FULL scan with that and again post the results of the log

In your next post i would like to see:

Spybot S&D log
Superanti Spyware (SAS) log
FRESH Hijackthis Log

Thanks for your help. I'm running the scans and will post them later after work. Or, I could call my wife and walk her through it over the phone (wow, I needed that laugh). In the meantime, Symantec scan still is finding w32 and infostealer - I've posted the log here. Vundo appears to be gone now. The help.exe file indeed loads by itself and if I don't kill the process, has to be killed by Windows on shutdown. I'll post the other logs later.

OK,

Disable System Restore
Find out how here

Download FixIEDef.exe by ShadowPuterDude to the Desktop

Double-click FixIEDef.exe
fixiedef_zip.png

That will open the About FixIEDef screen. Click OK to continue
about_fixiedef.png

Next, press the Scan! button
press_scan.png

A message will then pop up to say that it has successfully gained Admin rights. Click ok

Wait for the scan to finish
fixiedef_scanning.png

After the !!! All Finished !!! message is displayed, click Exit

NEXT
Download and run combofix from here

BEFORE running disable all of your Antivirus. You can find out how here

Follow these instructions on how to create the recovery console

Scan your system by following the instructions above.

THEN

Rescan with Symantec and post a fresh:
Symantec log
HJT log
log from Superantispyware
Log from Spybot S&D
Log from Combofix

Also tell me the results of the FixIEdef scan

Down to two viruses with four infected files, which is improvement, but we have a new file that is infected, though. Here are the logs. I couldn't figure out how to get a log from Spybot, but it found no immediate threats on the second scan (after it found one cookie and one trojan and I clicked fix the problems the ran a second scan).

oops - forgot to tell you about the FixIEdef scan - everything it was supposed to find and fix was apparently cleared up.

Hi jShock

Sorry its taken so long to reply. Do you still have the problem?

If so can you:

Right click the Hijackthis icon
In the name field can you rename hijack this analysethis.exe

This is because some forms of malware can hide from HijackThis

THEN

Can you Download SDFix

Now, double-click on the SDFix icon that should now be residing on your desktop. If a Open File - Security Warning box opens, click on the Run button

A window will now open showing SDFix being extracted into the C:\SDFix folder. Once the installation program has finished extracting SDFix, it will open a Notepad with further instructions as shown below

DO NOT RUN YET

Now please Boot into safe mode.

Now follow the Instructions here from point 7 were i left off.

Let the program run following through all of the steps. Then post the log from SDFix in your next post along with the freshly renamed HJT log.

I still have the last remaining infected files. I really appreciate your help on this. I will follow your latest instructions and post them soon.

Attached are the SDFix and Hijack (renamed) logs. I am restarting the 'puter and going to scan with Malwarebytes and Norton, which both have been picking up infections. I'll post those results separately.

Mbam found two .exe files that were infected and Symantec found three .exe files that were infected. The only one that I really notice being active is the help.exe that's infected with infostealer. It loads up in processes with each start and if I forget to kill the process, Trend winds up blocking something it is trying to do. Here are the logs:

Hi Rev Olie,

Do we have another fix to try?

-> No action taken on MBAM scan, for found issues
Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. <========= Not Done

Please re-run Malwarebytes
Confirm updated (third tab)
Then do the above quoted message, but this time "Remove all found issues"

By the way, you will need to then restart, and run (and attach) a new HJT log

I'm really sorry your post seems to have slipped by.

Please do as Kimsland has advised. Malwarebytes should be used to re scan the system as it seems its picked up the Help.exe file as problematic. Another malwarebytes scan should remove the majority of the infection.

Here are the two logs - Malwarebytes then HiJack after restart. Malwarebytes has consistently only found two of the infected files - r.exe and stm.exe (both in the help directory). The help.exe file is only found by Norton scan. After the reboot and Hijack log, I rescanned with Malwarebytes and the r.exe and stm.exe files are still problems. What's the next step?

Thanks

hmmm ok then

Whats your system been like since the malwarebytes scan?

Can you do another symantec scan as well just so i can compare the results

Were almost there :)

Seeming the member is using Symantec :suspiciou
This would be preferred

f_Logo1m_7c1b64d.png
Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner

In order to use it you have to use Internet Explorer.
Go to Kaspersky and click the Accept button at the end of the page.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded, click Next.
  • Click on "My Computer"
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Attach the report into your next reply

My anti virus is Trend. It is not picking up anything (along with Malwarebytes & Super Anti Spyware). Because of the hijacked browser stuff, I knew I had a problem so I used the Symantec online scan and found three infections. I also used Kaspersky this morning - log is attached. I don't care for the Norton stuff, which is why I used Trend, but the Symantec scan seems to be the only one that is picking up the help.exe infection. I seem to have three infected files with the help.exe file seeming to be the only one that is active as a process when I start Windows. I haven't noticed odd behaviors, but I do not have that computer connected to my network since I discovered I'm infected. When I have to do the online scans, I do a Chinese firedrill with my computers and router and no, it is not as fun as it sounds.

I will hook my infected computer back up to my modem and rescan with Symantec and post results.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is the Symantec scan: two viruses/four files. Seems to have identified all of them except the r.exe file and maybe the one Kaspersky found on drive e. Not sure, though, of course as I'm not the expert. What's the next step?

Thanks again

OK so this is what you got:
Symantec Scan:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssupdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taksman.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Help\Help.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Help\stm.exe
And Kaspersky Scan:
C:\WINDOWS\Help\stm.exe
E:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\toolbar\toolbr.exe

All up 4 Malicious files were found in C:\Windows folders
and 1 in E Drive

Please search and remove (delete) those files, manually

C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssupdate.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taksman.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\Help\Help.exe - Can't find file (see note below)
C:\WINDOWS\Help\stm.exe - Deleted
E:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\toolbar\toolbr.exe - See Note below

Help.exe is the process that I kill in task manager whenever I restart my computer. Maybe that has something to do with my not finding it??

E: is my backup partition. I get a big scary warning that deleting any files in this partition might cause the world to end. Or at least prevent me from restoring any data on it. Should I go ahead, find and delete?

I also came across r.exe, which Malwarebytes finds and tries to quarantine. I delted this as well.

Also, after deleting, I removed the files from my recycle bin. Next step?

Thanks so much

Help.exe is the process that I kill in task manager whenever I restart my computer. Maybe that has something to do with my not finding it??
Yes it's here in HJT:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SystemManger] C:\WINDOWS\Help\Help.exe
Please run a scan with HJT and tick and fix that entry

E: is my backup partition. I get a big scary warning that deleting any files in this partition might cause the world to end. Or at least prevent me from restoring any data on it. Should I go ahead, find and delete?
Hmm, that's a concern :suspiciou
Deleting this file may break your image backup
But it is malware
... :confused:

I've pondered about it :rolleyes:
Please delete it

Is help.exe not a needed file though?. I was going to advise its removal earlier but i thought it had something to do with the OS?

C:\WINDOWS\Help\Help.exe infected with Infostealer.Gampass
Not part of any Windows OS
Note: Should have been picked up by SuperAntiSpyware scan

Okay, power outage at home while I was at work today so the computer was off when I got home. When I restarted, some of the files I deleted this morning were back (r.exe; stm.exe). Taksman.exe and syssupdate.exe are gone.

I still could not find the Help.exe, although it showed up in processes. I Hijacked it and fixed it, and it is now gone after a restart.

I cannot find a way into the recovery partition to access the toolbr.exe file and delete it. The partition is something called PC Angel that Gateway adopted from Emachines. Must be quality if Emachines was using it, right?

It appears the active infections are gone - yeah! I'm left with three files - r.exe; stm.exe and the partition file toolbr.exe.

Killbox is a cool little tool! Zapped that partition file right outta there (for good, I hope).

Here is the Combofix log.

Thanks for your help

Ok, so now how is it running?

Actually before answering that, do this:
Un-install SuperAntiSpyware (if still installed)

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Run CCleaner

Restart
Then tell me :)

Uninstalled Super Anti Spyware

Cleared and reset system restore cache

Ran CC Cleaner

Restarted computer, ran Norton scan and it found two infected files: Help.exe and stm.exe.

Help.exe no longer loads as a process with restart, which is progress.

I've attached the scan log.

Thanks

That's strange, didn't we already remove that :confused:
Please supply a new HJT log (after restart, just in case)

Yes, we removed both those files (the stm.exe file was removed multiple times). Here is the latest Hijack file after a fresh restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back