Vysor lets you manage your Android smartphone from your PC

dkpope

Staff

Tired of needing to leave your computer to go find your phone when it chimes in the other room? There’s a new app, for Android devices only, that lets you manage your smartphone right from Chrome. The free app, named Vysor, was created by Koushik Dutta, maker of other Android apps such as AllCast Rom Manager, Voice Plus and more.

Using the Vysor web app for Chrome is simple. Just launch the Chrome app, enable USB debugging on the phone and connect to the computer via USB. Then ADB connects to the mobile device, Vysor is installed, and the mobile screen appears on the Windows or Mac computer.

After that, Vysor is ready to be used to control the Android device. Use it on your own or share it with a group via Vysor Sync. One key difference, when looking at similar apps, is that with Vysor you don’t have to root your device to run the app.

Currently the app is in beta, so some glitches can be expected, but it works on Mac and Windows PC because the desktop component takes place inside Chrome.

Dutta writes in a Google Plus post that he sees Vysor as a developer tool - not just a way to avoid getting up from your computer.

He says, "Vysor gives you all the benefits of a physical device, but with the ease and integration of an emulator in your development environment."

Permalink to story.

USB only as far as I can tell. Going to need a longer usb lead if I want to read my messages while the phone is in the other room :) Works ok, Little bit laggy, But that may just be my moto G.

The requirement to have your phone tethered to your PC is a deal breaker for me. Rooted or not (I'm rooted), there are better apps out there that will let you do just as much via your wifi connection. I doubt many will want to do things like "stream" their games to their PC as shown in the video, but maybe I'm totally wrong. Cool idea, but late to the party.

Damn, can't really type with these buttonless phones so was really hoping this would help, only problem is that windows hates my sony and recognizes it from usb occasionally 2-3 times a year depending on updates. No problem connecting it with blue tooth or wifi though so would like if they added support for those. Chrome requirement also prevents from using it on linux as I don't want to leave any traces of anything there so haven't even considered installing anything google.

The requirement to have your phone tethered to your PC is a deal breaker for me. Rooted or not (I'm rooted), there are better apps out there that will let you do just as much via your wifi connection. I doubt many will want to do things like "stream" their games to their PC as shown in the video, but maybe I'm totally wrong. Cool idea, but late to the party.
It's not clear but I think the USB connection is only for the initial setup, otherwise having an introductory paragraph including "Tired of needing to leave your computer to go find your phone when it chimes in the other room?" seems a bit silly :)

Wonder if it requires having it on the same network? Could be a way of checking my phone when it is secured in a locker at work due to data security policies.

It's not clear but I think the USB connection is only for the initial setup, otherwise having an introductory paragraph including "Tired of needing to leave your computer to go find your phone when it chimes in the other room?" seems a bit silly :)

Wonder if it requires having it on the same network? Could be a way of checking my phone when it is secured in a locker at work due to data security policies.

The phone must be connected via usb to your pc, You can then share a link with other vysor users who can then control the app via their pc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=73&v=chi_GTppqV0&ab_channel=KoushikDutta

Last edited:
Back