W2k does'nt boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspirion 8000 with W2k does'nt boot.
It says it is loading OS and then the blue screen with no error messages.It does'nt move further.Any thoughts
Kan

thanks realblackstuff,
I had tried doing the system repair.All it does is run a maintanence check on the hard disk which is very weird and then reboots from harddisk.Again back to same problem.

I also tried installing a fresh copy of the OS above the previous OS with the file system left intact .It did the same thing.All it did was run a check on the hard disk and nothing more than that.

One other wierd thing I noticed was when I tried installing a fresh copy of the OS in a different folder(C:\WINNT2) than the previous OS installion.The setup did not complete and did not create the folder WINNT2.

Finally I have to format the drive and install a new OS.

If you could give any explanation for the above , really apprecited.
Kan

I have that exact same machine purchased new from Dell.
If you bought from Dell with a Microsoft O/S disk for Win2k you have to watch which bios version is in your machine .That machine was released with Win Me design and Dell placed the O/S on a proprietary disc .If you try to move the O/S around or repair without their diagnostic tools and their O/S disk . It can be very frustrating.
When I updated to Win2k I was not successful until I installed a bios update (not the most recent) and did a clean install with the Microsft disk.
Take a moment and check the number of bios updates for that machine,paying attention to what each update corrected, there are a lot of them ,at last look 23
It is the one thing I hate about Dell ,They spend a lot trying to make their machines proprietary.

When installing another instance of W2k (or any other OS), always do so in a separate partition.

My first HD has 4 partitions, C with W2K for daily use, D with programs and data, E for download and F with another W2K for burning CDs etc.
The second HD has also 4 partitions, with G for the pagefile (fixed size, same file used by both W2K's), H for storage of program-sources, I for DriveImage images and J for my old Cobol programs (FAT16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back