W2K Pro Install without a CD or Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know a way of installing Windows 2000 Pro onto a laptop that has no floppy or CD drives (both are faulty)?

This laptop is about 4 years old and does not have the option to boot from USB in the BIOS either.

I had a look at one of your other topics called "W2kPro. Install without CD Drive" but unfortunately I can not use a floppy boot disk.

Any ideas???
I have a USB 2.5" drive caddy and USB CD drive that I can use if need be.

You could copy the Win2K install disc onto another computer, and network your laptop to it. Then move the files from that computer to your laptop and run the installation from the HD.

To run the installation from the HD one would have to make it DOS bootable, which is tricky if you don't have a floppy or CD-ROM.. Do you want to do a clean install or repair?

You can take the laptop hard drive and put it in another computer of course.

It needs to be a clean install unfortunately.

I can boot from network either as the laptop only has a PCMCIA laptop card and apparently you can't boot from that.

I am going to try putting the hard drive into another laptop, installing the OS and then putting it back into my laptop to see if that works.

Thank-you both for your suggestions.

That will not work unless the laptops have very similar hardware.

You are supposed to do the first part of "install Windows without CD drive" on the other laptop (format, make the HD DOS bootable, copy Windows CD contents). Then switch back to the real machine and run Windows setup after booting to DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back