W3C finally finalizes the HTML5 standard

Scorpus

Staff member

Did you know that the HTML5 standard, despite parts of it being used in numerous sites around the internet for years, hasn't actually been finalized? Until now, that is: the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has just finalized the HTML5 specification, saying that it's finally ready for adoption across the web.

The final HTML5 recommendation by the W3C is over 1,370 pages long, and details all of the new features and APIs available in the language. W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe says that "HTML5 brings the next generation of the Web", providing a much richer platform for users worldwide.

HTML5 has been in development for nearly eight years, although the current version of the standard is the first that has been labeled by the W3C as "stable". Now that HTML5 is recommended by the W3C, web developers can "be certain that it will be implemented in all browsers", according to Jaffe.

The full HTML5 recommendations includes many features that are already implemented in the wild. HTML5 allows content such as video and audio to be delivered to a web browser without the use of a plugin. It also provides a method of delivering SVG graphics and mathematical notations, while other features allow offline web applications and drag-and-drop functionality.

The W3C are now moving towards developing standards for electronic payments, real-time communications and app development. They're also looking at improving privacy and security across the web, which is becoming increasingly important in today's internet-connected world.

Permalink to story.

I remember when the first provision came out about 3 years ago, W3C decided to pull the plug on Thread Workers and Web Sockets.

They explained them to be unsafe under the current specification or some BS like that. I don't have time to go through the new spec, but if anyone knows whether the two elements are now included - please spill it out!

We've got stuff written to handle realtime data streams that uses websockets, last I heard was that it was disabled by some of the browser developers as deemed unsafe rather than having been removed from the HTML5 specification.

We've got stuff written to handle realtime data streams that uses websockets, last I heard was that it was disabled by some of the browser developers as deemed unsafe rather than having been removed from the HTML5 specification.

I remember W3C stated: Because safety of such things as Web Sockets and Web Workers is still under consideration, they are removed from the initial draft of HTML 5 (can't find the original article anymore). That was the case. What individual browsers did to that end was on a case-by-case basis.

"HTML5 allows content such as video and audio to be delivered to a web browser without the use of a plugin."

Oh finally! flash and java can finally die! right!?

VitalyT, it seems to be part of a separate specification now and no longer HTML5 bound.

I've played a 4k video shot with the OnePlus One in Chrome, through HTML5 and in Fx, through flash. The Html5 was using 95% of my 2500k and was all choppy, while the one in flash ran flawlessly. What's up with that ?

I've played a 4k video shot with the OnePlus One in Chrome, through HTML5 and in Fx, through flash. The Html5 was using 95% of my 2500k and was all choppy, while the one in flash ran flawlessly. What's up with that ?

Was the video acceleration active in your browser? Modern browsers, like Chrome, have rendering going through your video card, so there shouldn't be so much load on the CPU. By the way, IE11 is the best in this particular area, because Microsoft integrates it better with DirectX.

WebGL is enabled in Chrome, as is everything else GPU-related. Every other intensive video or browser OpenGL test runs without a hitch. Which settings should I check, any idea ?

This is the video in question:

And here's the CPU utilization, it spikes to 90%+ often in intensive scenes (leaves, grass):

8n0IsFv.png

Last edited:
Back