TechSpot

W7 Update “Checking for updates” runs for many hours

By 11mrtom
Apr 27, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. W7 Update issue
    Current behaviour “Checking for updates” runs for many hours without detecting any.
    Troubleshooting steps taken,
    I installed MS “fix” KB 3135445,
    Ran Fix WU Utility v 1.0 ( This utility will re-register a total of 114 .dll,* ocx and .ax files which are required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates. )
    Cleared Windows Update Cache, following correct procedure.
    Ran Windows update diagnostic.diagcab which detected issues, (see attch result 1 & result 2) which flagged an error RC_DataStore code 0X800F081F. I have tried researching this to no avail.
    I then ran a repair utility from the reputable “tweaking.com” the log attch “Repair_Windows_Updates” which may reveal info to those wiser than me .
    I also attch a list of current updates in the system the last being Net Framework 4.6.1.
    The Dell laptop is clean of infections / malware and stable. Security essentials updates do run well. So I'm out of ideas now and welcome your input . win update trouble shooter result 1.png win update trouble shooter result 2.png list of current updates.png The hardware is not compatable with W 10

Attached Files:

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

Been there, done that. The issue is the age of win/7 means the logs of updates is huge and update gets lost trying to discover what's here, what's missing, what to download. Let me find my notes on the fix ...

3. jobeard

4. 11mrtom

11mrtom TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

5. jobeard

I have no idea of other issues you're encountering - - I reported how I fixed this issue on my Dell Laptop Win/7 Pro SP1 system.

6. 11mrtom

11mrtom TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

The solution:
    net stop cryptsvc
    esentutl /p
    %systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
    rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
    md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
    xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
    del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
    net start cryptsvc
    pause