W7 Update “Checking for updates” runs for many hours

11mrtom

W7 Update issue
Current behaviour “Checking for updates” runs for many hours without detecting any.
Troubleshooting steps taken,
I installed MS “fix” KB 3135445,
Ran Fix WU Utility v 1.0 ( This utility will re-register a total of 114 .dll,* ocx and .ax files which are required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates. )
Cleared Windows Update Cache, following correct procedure.
Ran Windows update diagnostic.diagcab which detected issues, (see attch result 1 & result 2) which flagged an error RC_DataStore code 0X800F081F. I have tried researching this to no avail.
I then ran a repair utility from the reputable “tweaking.com” the log attch “Repair_Windows_Updates” which may reveal info to those wiser than me .
I also attch a list of current updates in the system the last being Net Framework 4.6.1.
The Dell laptop is clean of infections / malware and stable. Security essentials updates do run well. So I'm out of ideas now and welcome your input . win update trouble shooter result 1.png win update trouble shooter result 2.png list of current updates.png The hardware is not compatable with W 10

Attachments

• Repair_Windows_Updates.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
Been there, done that. The issue is the age of win/7 means the logs of updates is huge and update gets lost trying to discover what's here, what's missing, what to download. Let me find my notes on the fix ...

I have no idea of other issues you're encountering - - I reported how I fixed this issue on my Dell Laptop Win/7 Pro SP1 system.

The solution:
net stop cryptsvc
esentutl /p
%systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net start cryptsvc
pause

Back