Wal-Mart to roll out a $50/year subscription-based, fast-shipping service to combat Amazon Prime

Shawn Knight

Staff member

walmart challenges amazon prime shipping service amazon walmart amazon prime expedited shipping fast shipping tahoe

Amazon will soon be facing competition from an unlikely contender. Wal-Mart is preparing to unveil a fast-shipping subscription-based service similar to Prime in a bid to boost its online sales and win back market share that Amazon has no doubt taken away over the years.

The Information reports that the subscription service, codenamed Tahoe, was originally slated to launch this past winter but was ultimately delayed due to unspecified technical problems.

Perhaps the most notable aspect of the service based on what we know so far is its price. Wal-Mart told the Associated Press that it is planning to price the service at just $50 per year – far cheaper than the $99 that Amazon now charges for Prime (and even less than its pre-price hike rate of $79/year).

Shipments will be delivered within three days or less, we’re told.

There are a few caveats worth pointing out. While Wal-Mart’s rumored service may be cheaper, it won’t include the other benefits that Amazon Prime delivers such as Prime Instant Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. Streaming services could come at a later date but Wally World will likely focus on speedy shipping early on. What’s more, only around a million of the company’s seven million products sold online will quality for expedited shipping under the offering.

Wal-Mart’s new service is expected to go live sometime this summer and will initially be available by invitation only.

Permalink to story.

You get so much more from Amazon than just free shipping for their $99/year fee. I think this is one thing that other online retailers have yet to learn. I have to wonder how Newegg's "Premier" is working out for them. I am already a Prime member, so then I guess I am supposed to join Premier and Wal-Mart's new service, too? I don't think so.

I get the idea that the corporate wonks think that online shopping is some sort of fad that no one can live without. This is getting like the streaming services that are popping up like flies on you know what. I _was_ also a member of Sam's Club; however, they would consistently pester me each time I bought something there to upgrade to a level of service that I had absolutely no use for, and I eventually dropped my membership at least in part because of that. If I bought frequently from Wal-mart or the Egg, these premium services might make sense for me; however, I do not buy that frequently from either of them. I don't even buy that much from Amazon though it is enough to pay for my prime membership. I also, however, watch Amazon's streaming video. I won't also pay Wal-mart for something I rarely use.

Usually, with services like this, the corporate wonks are hoping that people will pay for it and then not use it since that is the way that they maximize profits. Sorry, Wal-mart, I am not biting!

You get so much more from Amazon than just free shipping for their $99/year fee. I think this is one thing that other online retailers have yet to learn. I have to wonder how Newegg's "Premier" is working out for them. I am already a Prime member, so then I guess I am supposed to join Premier and Wal-Mart's new service, too? I don't think so.!

I'm curious how Premier will do also, Amazon Prime's extras are linked to the US side only. Want to watch anything on Amazon Prime? Better have a US subscription too if you live in Canada! I poked Amazon about it, and they said it's being rolled out at some point. Basically a blank response, because they have no clue at all. Amazon's prices on PC hardware in general, is so inflated I'm better off buying from other retailers. There's the occasional things on Amazon, enough times that the shipping does help offset it. Especially with large orders, but I won't buy hardware from there anytime soon.

*BARF* My walmart account was hacked a few years ago so I refuse to shop @ walmart.com. Someone bought a $50 phone card along with some coin. I called walmart within 2 hours and they said they couldn't cancel the order but it was already too late. Walmart wouldn't reverse the charge but my cc did. 3 months later, Walmart sent me a letter asking for payment on that reverse charge... which I totally ignore.

The only I still buy at walmart is their Mobile 1 synthetic oil... that's about it. To pay $50 for subpar service and goods? NO THANK YOU.

You get so much more from Amazon than just free shipping for their $99/year fee. I think this is one thing that other online retailers have yet to learn. I have to wonder how Newegg's "Premier" is working out for them. I am already a Prime member, so then I guess I am supposed to join Premier and Wal-Mart's new service, too? I don't think so.!

I'm curious how Premier will do also, Amazon Prime's extras are linked to the US side only. Want to watch anything on Amazon Prime? Better have a US subscription too if you live in Canada! I poked Amazon about it, and they said it's being rolled out at some point. Basically a blank response, because they have no clue at all. Amazon's prices on PC hardware in general, is so inflated I'm better off buying from other retailers. There's the occasional things on Amazon, enough times that the shipping does help offset it. Especially with large orders, but I won't buy hardware from there anytime soon.
I did not know that the Prime extras were US only. Interesting.

The canned answer you got from them sounds like the canned answer that I get from them every time I tell their support that I will never leave my credit card attached to my account and that I would also like the option to not have them store my credit card number by default so that I must explicitly delete it after each order.
We use the latest in security and your card is secure on our site.
All I can think is that they must be smoking some pretty strong drugs. If Amazon ever did get hacked, I bet they would tell no one.

I keep hoping that some day, "business" will be done in an honorable fashion. Then again, I wonder if I am the one smoking the strong drugs with that hope. :)

I keep hoping that some day, "business" will be done in an honorable fashion. Then again, I wonder if I am the one smoking the strong drugs with that hope. :)

What you've been smoking? :)

My biggest thing, Amazon has things I want to buy. I can't stand Walmarts. Last time I went in one was for emergency quick cold medicine.

My biggest thing, Amazon has things I want to buy. I can't stand Walmarts. Last time I went in one was for emergency quick cold medicine.
Everything has its place. When was the last time you went into Amazon for emergency quick cold medicine? :)

Back