Walmart takes aim at Amazon with free two-day shipping nationwide

Jos

Staff

Walmart’s Prime competitor is ready for, er, primetime. Following some adjustments last month trimming the free shipping offer to two days from three for $49 per year, the giant retailer is ready to take its ShippingPass program nationwide. And to celebrate the rollout it will be offering a free 30-day trial or an extra month of service for existing members.

Walmart's move comes as Amazon is expected to launch a Prime Day sales event for the second year in a row, underscoring how serious the company is getting about online sales. The company has previously launched a handful of other programs , including online grocery pick up and a partnership with ride-hailing app Uber to deliver groceries.

The company says that more than 1 million items on its website are eligible for ShippingPass at the moment. Aside from free two-day shipping, customers also get no minimum order requirements, and returns are free -- both online and in store.

Amazon’s two-day service matches Amazon at half the price but to be fair, Amazon Prime includes other extras like streaming streaming music, video and more. The company also recently announced a $10.99 per month for those who do not wan’t to commit to the full year.

Permalink to story.

Last paragraph..."Amazon’s two-day service matches Amazon at half the price but to be fair, ..."

You mean Walmart's 2-day service, I assume.

The major problem they will have is that Walmart simply does not have the variety AND much of their stuff simply isn't the same quality. If they grow the brand and become a lot more upscale I think they can do well, but when you consider how many Walmart stores there are around .... why would you want this kind of service???

Wal-Mart treats their employees so badly, among many other things, that I refuse to shop there. I'll spend my money elsewhere and save someones job. I don't think I've ever found a quality product at walmart, but thats the kind of quality you can expect from Chinese slave labor.

Wal-Mart treats their employees so badly, among many other things, that I refuse to shop there. I'll spend my money elsewhere and save someones job. I don't think I've ever found a quality product at walmart, but thats the kind of quality you can expect from Chinese slave labor.

Are you serious? You say this as if Wal Mart manufactures all of their own products. What's the difference in a box of Aleve or a box of Cap'n Crunch from Wal Mart versus getting it from Target for more? Being a cashier, greeter or stocker isn't meant to be a life long career --- put forth the effort to become a co-manger or higher and you can do QUITE well working for Wal Mart.

Are you serious? You say this as if Wal Mart manufactures all of their own products. What's the difference in a box of Aleve or a box of Cap'n Crunch from Wal Mart versus getting it from Target for more? Being a cashier, greeter or stocker isn't meant to be a life long career --- put forth the effort to become a co-manger or higher and you can do QUITE well working for Wal Mart.
Do you know anything about how Walmart sources their products? And you're telling me making 25k a year as a co manager at walmart is "quite well"? Walmart also has programs in place where they help their employees get government assistance making them the single largest welfare queen in the US.

Do you know anything about how Walmart sources their products? And you're telling me making 25k a year as a co manager at walmart is "quite well"? Walmart also has programs in place where they help their employees get government assistance making them the single largest welfare queen in the US.

Co-Managers at Wal Mart earn about $70K + $10-$20K annual bonuses, Store Managers earn $90K-$120K + $50K or higher bonuses (depending on the stores performance it can be much more). Don't make up imaginary facts to make it seem like you're right.

Last edited:
Back