TechSpot

Want Office on your Linux system???

By SuperCheetah
Mar 27, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here is a neat program that allows Linux users to use Microsoft's Office on their machine.

Post back on what you guys think of this....:)
  2. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

I just noticed this article as well :D But I've also noticed this little gem at ArsTechnica:

It's an office suite originally for BeOS. The new version supports Linux and Windows as well. It looks rather sleek and has a small memory footprint (that's what the article says) ;)
  3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 868

Yeah, I saw that one earlier. Glad we got the two in the same post!!! Great little programs in my opinion.
  4. lokem

Agreed! With these 2 products out, hopefully StarOffice won't be ignored. Have you tried OpenOffice lately?
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Red Hat exec tussles over MSOffice for Linux

source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24584.html
  6. lokem

Gee.. For a CTO, he's rather blur and indecisive. That would work *wonders* for investor relationships.

Anyway, bidding for MS Office on Linux? Thanks, but no thanks.
  7. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,145

8. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 868

lokem, I can't say I've tried OpenOffice. I'm only a newbie with Linux and very inexperienced. I'll have to look around and read up on it. :)
  9. lokem

In that case, you really should give OpenOffice a try ;) I've tried StarOffice 6.0 beta and I love it. Haven't had time to d/l OpenOffice yet though, but they're rather similar. Will let you know how it goes if I get the time to d/l it.
  10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I've used OpenOffice for a long time, I don't remember which build it was back then. In addition, I also have StarOffice 6.0 beta - Sun mailed me that a patch is available which moves the expiration date to June. The final version should be available in May, they say. Gobe Productive is excellent, too, I have 2.0 for BeOS.
  11. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

I haven't tried Star Office 6.0 beta yet, but I am guessing when its out of beta Ximian will incorporate it into their updates, since 5.2 is already a part......

I hear it is a lot better....

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

It is, IMHO, I didn't like that "desktop" style 5.2 had.
  13. lokem

Agreed, that made the entire interface look very "heavy" and messy.

The main reason why I didn't use OpenOffice last time was because they didn't support printing! The most basic thing a word processor must do, they didn't implement. No doubt that was quite some time ago; I'm sure they would have added that functionality already by now since they're already at version 1.0 (build 641C)
  14. just1n

just1n Newcomer, in training

ms office on linux?

i'll stick with a clay tablet if ms office makes its way into the linux world ;)

-j
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.