TechSpot

Want Office on your Linux system???

By SuperCheetah
Mar 27, 2002
  1. Here is a neat program that allows Linux users to use Microsoft's Office on their machine.

Post back on what you guys think of this....:)

2. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 672

I just noticed this article as well :D But I've also noticed this little gem at ArsTechnica:

It's an office suite originally for BeOS. The new version supports Linux and Windows as well. It looks rather sleek and has a small memory footprint (that's what the article says) ;)

3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 709

Yeah, I saw that one earlier. Glad we got the two in the same post!!! Great little programs in my opinion.

4. lokem

Agreed! With these 2 products out, hopefully StarOffice won't be ignored. Have you tried OpenOffice lately?

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Red Hat exec tussles over MSOffice for Linux

source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24584.html

6. lokem

Gee.. For a CTO, he's rather blur and indecisive. That would work *wonders* for investor relationships.

Anyway, bidding for MS Office on Linux? Thanks, but no thanks.

7. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 980

8. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 709

lokem, I can't say I've tried OpenOffice. I'm only a newbie with Linux and very inexperienced. I'll have to look around and read up on it. :)

9. lokem

In that case, you really should give OpenOffice a try ;) I've tried StarOffice 6.0 beta and I love it. Haven't had time to d/l OpenOffice yet though, but they're rather similar. Will let you know how it goes if I get the time to d/l it.

10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I've used OpenOffice for a long time, I don't remember which build it was back then. In addition, I also have StarOffice 6.0 beta - Sun mailed me that a patch is available which moves the expiration date to June. The final version should be available in May, they say. Gobe Productive is excellent, too, I have 2.0 for BeOS.

11. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

I haven't tried Star Office 6.0 beta yet, but I am guessing when its out of beta Ximian will incorporate it into their updates, since 5.2 is already a part......

I hear it is a lot better....

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

It is, IMHO, I didn't like that "desktop" style 5.2 had.

13. lokem

Agreed, that made the entire interface look very "heavy" and messy.

The main reason why I didn't use OpenOffice last time was because they didn't support printing! The most basic thing a word processor must do, they didn't implement. No doubt that was quite some time ago; I'm sure they would have added that functionality already by now since they're already at version 1.0 (build 641C)

14. just1n

just1n TS Rookie

ms office on linux?

i'll stick with a clay tablet if ms office makes its way into the linux world ;)

-j

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.