Want to combine 2 drives as 1.5T and add another 1.5T Raid1 Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gexamb

Hey guys, i am taking a long shot here but I was wondering what your opinions are regarding my planned project.

I have a 1 T drive and a 500GB drive. The 1 T is WD Caviar Black and the 500Gb is a Seagate Barracuda. I was wondering if it is possible to combine the 1 T and 500GB drives as one. That would give me 1.5 T and I can buy another 1.5T drive and put them in a raid 1 setup. is this possible?

I want more storage space and 1 T is not enough I dont want to buy 2 1.5T drives if I can buy only one. This is will only be strictly for storage and I am planning on getting an OCZ Vertex 60Gb SSD for my OS drive.

So is it possible to combine 2 drives as 1 and add another one for raid 1?

500GB + 1 T = 1.5T
Buy 1 more 1.5T= 1.5T

I don't think you can do that - Adding the 1TB to the .5TB isn't difficult - that's JBOD. JBOD isn't even really RAID - it stands for Just a Bunch Of Disks. I don't think you can take JBOD and mix it in with RAID 0 - in fact, I'm not sure if you can even nest JBOD.

It can be done... if your hard ware has the space, the cooling systems, and the power supply.

what do you mean by that? essentially there will be 3 drives. 2 acting as 1 and another 1 together in raid 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back