Want to combine 2 drives as 1.5T and add another 1.5T Raid1 Possible?

By gexamb
Oct 14, 2009
  1. Hey guys, i am taking a long shot here but I was wondering what your opinions are regarding my planned project.

I have a 1 T drive and a 500GB drive. The 1 T is WD Caviar Black and the 500Gb is a Seagate Barracuda. I was wondering if it is possible to combine the 1 T and 500GB drives as one. That would give me 1.5 T and I can buy another 1.5T drive and put them in a raid 1 setup. is this possible?

I want more storage space and 1 T is not enough I dont want to buy 2 1.5T drives if I can buy only one. This is will only be strictly for storage and I am planning on getting an OCZ Vertex 60Gb SSD for my OS drive.

So is it possible to combine 2 drives as 1 and add another one for raid 1?

500GB + 1 T = 1.5T
    Buy 1 more 1.5T= 1.5T
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

I don't think you can do that - Adding the 1TB to the .5TB isn't difficult - that's JBOD. JBOD isn't even really RAID - it stands for Just a Bunch Of Disks. I don't think you can take JBOD and mix it in with RAID 0 - in fact, I'm not sure if you can even nest JBOD.
  3. gexamb

gexamb TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

crap, is that the final answer?
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

It can be done... if your hard ware has the space, the cooling systems, and the power supply.
  5. gexamb

check, check, and check. but how?
  6. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

Physically impossible because you have 2 physical drives to begin with.
  7. gexamb

what do you mean by that? essentially there will be 3 drives. 2 acting as 1 and another 1 together in raid 1.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.