Want to de-assign a drive letter

gbhall

I have a dual-boot system with Win 7 and XP-pro (on a second HDD). There are two other partitions which I use between both OS's and have Win 7 designations D: for data and E: for setups/backups.

Win 7 has the usual primary,hidden,system,boot partition named WinRE and in windows 7 it is not seen and not assigned a drive letter. So far, so normal.

However, when I boot into XP-pro on the second drive, then unfortunately the WinRe partition is seen, and being the first partition on the 1st HDD, gets assigned drive letter D: That letter cannot be changed, so I can't actually have the same two partitions as D: and E: in both OS's apparently. Or is there a way to make the WinRe partition invisible to XP-pro (currently unchangeable assignment D: ?

Attachments

• xp partition view.png
    xp partition view.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Win 7 partition view.png
    Win 7 partition view.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 4
I would think you can just right click on it and change the drive letter there. Are you saying you can't right click on D in Disk Management in XP and change it to something like X?

Oh, you can try, but you get a message saying it cannot be changed because it is a system and boot partition. This is repeated in several MS tech notes, plus several partition managers I've tried have property values greyed out for the partition, like rename, hide, change letter, change type, change format etc, etc.

Boot DLA can not be reassigned - - I recall they are in the registry. A dual boot system then has TWO registries and TWO MBRs to struggle with.

I purchased and installed BootIt Bare Metal, which provided one starts from an undisturbed and default BCD store, can give you an ideal multi-boot setup virtually automatically, with complete control over which partitions you see, and what drive letters they have in each OS.

With some fine help from an expert in Australia, I also was able to add further boot options to run, for example the Windows recovery process, drive imaging, partition management. I could later have as many primary partitions as I might desire on every HDD for installations of Linux for example. Altogether an excellent and highly capable software product I can recommend http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Back