Want to run two hard drives need help pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey... totally new here. I have a question which I guess I need in laymen terms so to speak. I am thinking of buying a new 160gb hard drive. I right now have a 40gb hard drive. IDE is what I am buying since i know not too much I don't wanna mess with SATA. Anyways I would like to know what do I need to do. I want to make the new hard drive to be the master and the old one just for more storage space. What do I need to do?

Can I just install windows xp on the new hard drive and format clean the old drive and and install like games on the old one just like that or do I have to do something else?

Thanks in adavanced.

New HDs of that size normally come with some transfer-utility. You would put the new HD in as slave (jumper on the back of that HD). Then use the utility to transfer your old HD onto the new HD.
Next, swap master and slave settings, so that the new bigger HD will become the master and the old one the slave. On newer PCs you will also need to swap the flat-cable connection. Master at the end, slave in the middle.
Before you start, check that your BIOS can handle such a big disk. If available, a BIOS-update might be necessary.

Now would also be a good time to fill in all your computer specs under 'User Profile' (top left on any page).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back