TechSpot

Wanting to buy a new Videocard, do I have an AGP slot?

By Indrid
Nov 19, 2005
  1. The card I currently have(nVidia GeForce FX 5600XT) occasionally makes my computer crash, and I play up-to-date games and would like a better card... but then I'm not sure if I have an AGP slot, anyone want to tell me how I can tell if i have one?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If it helps i have an ASUS P4P800S motherboard.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Your mobo has agp x8, if you look at it from above and with the processor to the top then its the black connector that looks similar to the white ones but is set further from the edge of the board.

Hope that helps. Rik.

3. Indrid

Indrid TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, I see it. Now.. any recomendations for a video card for gaming? At an affordable price that is.. ~150

4. Rik

Nvidia and ATI are the best names to go for in my opinion. You will get good graphics performance from both makes but you will get more for your money with ATI. The only problem with ATI is that the drivers dont seen to be as reliable as the Nvidia ones.

As an example, I have an ATI radeon 9550 agp x8 256 meg ram, it cost less than £40 and is a very good card but i have had trouble with the drivers. I have to use the driver from the latest driver package but use the control tools form the previous version.

My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on graphics.

Hope that helps. Rik.

5. Indrid

I'm thinking of either a eVGA GeForce 6800 or 6600 card.

6. Rik

Make sure you get an agp x8 and NOT a pci-e (or pci express) and all should be fine.

Pci-e is a different socket altogether.

Hope that helps. Rik.

7. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Posts: 390

6600GT man.. 6600 is kinda outdated.. anyway.. u can get a 6600GT for 170$ (canadian) so i guess thats below 150 american

8. Indrid

Yeah 6600GT or 6800, I can't afford 6800GT :\.

What's probably the BEST Videocard i can get with ~200$US

9. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

A few more bucks, won't be long to save up. And by the time you do save up, the price would have gone down to what your original budget was anyway, then you can use the extra cash to celebrate your new video card :) :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.