Wanting to upgrade cpu(again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after trying this the first time I'm afraid I blew my mobo..I was going to upgrade my CPU from a P4 2.8 to a P4 3.0 HT...but all I did was remove my 2.8 processor, and put the 3.0 HT in..it fit in perfectly...but with the 3.0..I used the same heatsink and fan that I had on the 2.8....because this 3.0 was from a machine I just bought for parts and noticed the processor was still good because I ran it in another machine with no problems at all. The fan and heatsink that was on the 3.0 look similar to the one I originally have..When doing an upgrade...do you have to replace heatsink and fan???
(my mobo does support HT, thankfully it was still under warranty when this happened so it's up and running again)

Typically speaking the fan from a 2.8 should work fine on the 3.0 processor but you should still consult the manufacturer of the heatsink/fan to verify that it supports processors higher than the 2.8.

I would recommend spending a few bucks on a new aftermarket heatsink/fan especially if you have doubts about the original one.

Better spend 20-40 bucks on a heatsink/fan than replace an expensive processor.

Remember to replace thermal compound and a mobo that supports HT WILL support the 3Ghz HT, The slowest hyper threader out there is the 2.8, 200Mhz is not that big of a difference and will not blow a mobo. There is human error somewhere in there.

Yeah you're right..I was probably not grounded what well when I was trying the upgrade, and I did not reapply any new thermal grease..there was already thermal on there, but it wasn't fresh. I'm tempted to try it again, but I'm afraid the same problem will happen again. I just want the HT...my motherboard supports HT..I can see it in the bios, but it's grayed out so I can't enable it..the 2.8 chip i have in there now is not HT. I looked up my chipset and it does say my board supports the HT..I know it's not that big of a difference, but I have this 3.0 HT chip here and I might as well be putting it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back