TechSpot

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning officially shuts down, private server in open beta

By Russ Boswell
Dec 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Let's all take a moment of silence as another long running MMORPG takes its place in the annals of history. Mythic Entertainment has officially shut down the servers for its Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning title. This termination is coming...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,119   +236

Only wish I played the game on official servers :/ never actually played it wanted to but didnt have time :'(
  3. tomkaten

tomkaten TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 81   +27

Among all the flak that WoW has got, the truth is that it set the bar so high, that MMO's have been failing left and right. I can't count the times some projects had a huge hype rating on mmorpg.com only to fail miserably upon launch or soon thereafter.

The only one that looks promising enough to me right now is Star Citizen, and that's only because I've always loved Chris Roberts' games. But beautiful art and graphics alone don't make a game you want people to be playing for years, so we'll just have to wait and see.
  4. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 129   +16

I remember being so excited for this game that I got the special edition. The first 2 weeks were jammed packed with players. I took two weeks of because of work and when I came back I started to notice that areas were getting emptier and I could no longer do them alone. The game got really boring and became a wasteland as players got over the initial WoW Killer stage and went back WoW. Soon after I was done with it and I myself went back. The game had so much promise.
  5. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 715   +28

As an ex-dark age of camelot player and fan of the war hammer fantasy setting, I was looking forward to some epic open world rvr (realm vs realm) and ordered the special collectors edition with the comic book and figurines. Unfortunately open world rvr is pretty boring with only 2 factions (you need 3 to spice it up really) and the preference for instanced small scale pvp zones (10vs10) and questing being something you did killing time to get into pvp queues, it just didn't deliver any on any of the game changing promises offered prior to launch.

Fighting in an ongoing war, thinks that you did in lower levels filtering up to the higher levels and helping in the overall struggle.. feeling like a part in a massive whole etc etc. That all went to pot. And as already mentioned, the open group questing system broke as soon as people abandoned the lvling areas for instanced pvp games and the occasional dungeon. I lasted less than 6 months returning briefly and seeing other friends who played on when I visited their homes.

Still feel sorry for anyone who was really invested though. Leaving an MMO community is hard enough let alone having it forced upon you. Mythic were fighting an uphill struggle from the start. And in Europe we had to deal with GOA till they got kicked into touch..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.