Warner Bros. is reportedly in talks to reboot The Matrix

midian182

Staff member

With a story that includes hacking, simulated realities, and artificial intelligence gone awry, 1999’s The Matrix remains a favorite movie among many technophiles. The sequels were quite a disappointment compared to the original, but it looks as if the series is in line for a reboot.

The Hollywood Reporter’s sources claim Warner Bros. is already in the early stages of developing a relaunch. And while Keanu Reeves did say he would be willing to appear in a new Matrix, it’s Michael B. Jordan, who stars in Creed and Black Panther, that is being eyed for the lead role.

The Matrix movies will always be associated with writers/directors the Wachowski siblings, but it seems they won’t be involved in the project, though Warner Bros. is likely to at least seek their blessing. Zak Penn, who worked on superhero features such as X-Men: The Last Stand, The Avengers, and TV’s Alphas is in talks to write the reboot.

The producer of the trilogy, Joel Silver, reportedly approached Warner Bros. with the idea of creating a new Matrix, despite having sold his interest in the movies to the studio in 2012 for around $30 million. Warners is apparently concerned about returning Silver to his old role due to his reputation for letting budgets spiral out of control and his strained relationship with the Wachowskis.

Like all rumors, a new Matrix movie may never actually materialize. But considering Hollywood’s obsession with remaking franchises, a reboot of the sci-fi classic seems quite likely. Whether it will be any good is another matter.

Permalink to story.

A prequel trilogy would be much better. There is so much back story that could be used and some of it was touched upon in the Animatrix shorts. They could tell the story of the machine uprising and the subsequent "burning of the sky" by man to destroy the machines main power source, resulting in the use of people as an energy source culminating in the construction of the first matrix and showing how the legend of "the one" actually started.

By far, my favorite movie. It would be awesome if they could, somehow, make the 2nd e 3rd movies more relevant to the trilogy as a whole.

The first one was mind expanding and well done, after that, not so much. This one should stand on it's own and not be remade over and over again.

If they want to remake a movie that would benefit from the newer technology, get Spielberg to remake "Fantastic Voyage" from 1966. It was a great movie that could be made even better with the write screenwriter ..... and there are so many other organs to explore in the sequels! LOL

They're always making these reboots cause they don't have any new ideas. I'm not that much into movies these days but it seems like every popular one is either a reboot or a sequel and I can't be bothered watching Spider-Man movie every year.

The sequels were quite a disappointment compared to the original

That's only because people were expecting the same shock as in the first one, which wasn't logical to expect. The movie is all great, if you watch it as a whole.
A prequel trilogy would be much better.

Not so sure, considering that the Architect spoke of the Matrix being in its 6th iteration.

Not so sure, considering that the Architect spoke of the Matrix being in its 6th iteration.
It doesn't have to be a previous iteration. It could be about Morpheus learning the truth and slowly gaining knowledge about "The One". Maybe a movie about his search for the one.

It will eventually happen in one form or another, but it's too soon for a reboot now. maybe something that expands the lore/universe or maybe something similar to what they are doing to star wars.
It's been almost 20 years, don't feel old enough yet?

A prequel trilogy would be much better. There is so much back story that could be used and some of it was touched upon in the Animatrix shorts. They could tell the story of the machine uprising and the subsequent "burning of the sky" by man to destroy the machines main power source, resulting in the use of people as an energy source culminating in the construction of the first matrix and showing how the legend of "the one" actually started.
So much this, prequel would be awesome, on the machine uprising...oh no it sounds like a twisted skynet. I lost interest in a prequel now.

I'm not sure if the Windows 10 Architect is in it or in the rebooted Matrix 1, Neo will be using Nokia 3310 (2017 Edition)
In rebooted Matrix 2, Neo will be using an exploding Samsung Note 7 and die.
In rebooted Matrix 3, Neo is resurrected by DJ Qualls (who hacked the cyberplanet). Neo will be using Xiaomi...

could you simply not watch it? I "not" watch things I don't like everyday. With enough practice, I believe anyone can master it.
If I reviewed movies for a living then I would have to watch it. Thankfully that is not the case. However, there will still be ads and commercials everywhere that will be more difficult to avoid than the movie itself.

I think its way too soon. And I don't care for a reboot, maybe expand the story line and continue it.

#1 was awesome
#2 was good
#3 was ok

They could maybe introduce and alien threat to both humans and the machines. Forcing them to work together to eradicate the threat, with battles both in the real world and in the matrix. Many ways to continue it I don't need a remake of the first 3 movies!

A TV show series based upon The Matrix would work better than remaking the films. The problem with the second and third film was that a lot of the side story was in the Animatrix and the video games that most people didn't experience.

That's only because people were expecting the same shock as in the first one, which wasn't logical to expect. The movie is all great, if you watch it as a whole.

The prequels could tell the story of what lead up to the first iteration of the matrix, I.e the machine uprising, the war, and the final subjugation of the human race.

Here's a better idea, reboot the relaunch reboot of Star Trek to tie new and old. Give us voyager in the delta quad with J taking on the Borg with the new Kirk AND old Kirk while Archer works out a treaty on DS9 with the Klingons et al to give the UFP access to Borg tech!

Joe Blow stated:
All the creativity in Hollywood is being burned up fabricating garbage to criticize the President of the United States.

whenever I run short of blessings to count I read a comment from you or your apparently expanding hoard, and am reminded to thank god that I live no where Near your chosen reality (I think you've got an undiagnosable and random short in your matrix plug.. but thanks to the internet, you'll be able to find others, like yourself, and vocally thrive in undiagnosable and random awareness for years to come).
Thanks for the reminder..

Last edited:
whenever I run short of blessings to count I read a comment from you or your apparently expanding hoard, and am reminded to thank god that I live no where Near your chosen reality (I think you've got an undiagnosable and random short in your matrix plug.. but thanks to the internet, you'll be able to find others, like yourself, and vocally thrive in undiagnosable and random awareness for years to come).
Thanks for the reminder..
I doff my hat.

Here's a better idea, reboot the relaunch reboot of Star Trek to tie new and old. Give us voyager in the delta quad with J taking on the Borg with the new Kirk AND old Kirk while Archer works out a treaty on DS9 with the Klingons et al to give the UFP access to Borg tech!

lol what does star trek have to do with the matrix?

kinda off topic!

lol what does star trek have to do with the matrix?

kinda off topic!
Nothing; but it does cover remakes and reboots etc. There's little that could be ADDED to the matrix. As far as a reboot goes. For the hundreds of reboots remakes restarts et al we have suffered through of late it boggles the mind they're going to do anything with the matrix where a prequel would be interesting but there's nowhere to go besides the Star Trek style alt reality and that will NOT on the original timeline a that will no bring in fans of the originals.
Marvel was smart bringing the various x-men films back together. I'd hate to see matrix ruined in a Star Trek style.

Back