Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I have TOSHIBA Settelite A45 S151 and i am getting this warning "A problem with the cooling system has been detected."
My machine becomes very slow. I check some theads to find out whats going on. Most of them says it may be heat sink or fan. But my fan is working and I cleaned my heat sink properly but still it is giving me the same problem.
Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Really you already took apart your notebook and cleaned the CPU heatsink and the cooling fan and you still have this problem? Well the slow down means the mobo is sensing high temperature of the CPU and automatically clocking it down to reduce heat. So maybe you have sensor problem, mobo problem or the CPU heatsink has come loose from the CPU.

Maybe time to taken it in for service.

Cheers.

New Problem

Hi I showed it to a professional and he checked everything. He ran my machine overnight and even with cpu usage 100% but still does not overheats.
He called toshiba as well and they are saying "May be one of the sensor is not working on motherboard so the only thing you can do is to change a motherboard".
Motherboard costs $700 so it does not make any sense.

Anyone is having any idea on what to do. My computer still slows down.

You might ask the pro how he measured the CPU temp. Did he use an external temperature meter with a thermistor or a thermal couple. If yes, where did he measure it at? If off the CPU heatsink there will be a large Delta T between it's outer surface (ie. where the temp probe was attached) and the CPU die (the temp probe is actually built into the CPU itself). My point is maybe you are actually/really having high CPU temps and the "pro" never measured it correctly.

If your temps are correct(that is they are low) then you definately have a sensor failure or a mobo fault, as I stated in my first post and so did the Toshiba techs.

Sooooooo, try removing the HSF and the CPU. Carefully clean off the thermal paste and apply new fresh paste. Reseat the CPU in the socket to ensure all pins are connected correctly. (2 of those pins come from the built in temp sensor). If that doesn't work I'm afraid you have a problem with the CPU sensor itself or the mobo circuit that conditions the sensor signal.

Cheers.

Hi

Hi guys. I know this sounds strange but I was wondering if you could tell me how to make it so that paticular error does not show up? Im now looking to fix the problem I just dont want the system warning to show up. I have a Satellite A45-S130.
It is very important that I do this and if anyone could help me I would me eternally grateful.

You should be able to disable temperature warnings in your system BIOS. Hit F2 or Del (Whichever your system uses) when the system is booting. In the BIOs, look for something along the lines of "Overheat Warning: [Enabled]" and disable it.

I Have the same problem with my toshiba 5205-s503, I solved the message problem renaming a program name TWARNMSG.EXE locate in windows\sistem32\ to twarnmsn.exeold, but lookslike my machine still having trouble with low performance when heated. the program is part of the toshiba software package, not from windows.

A problem with the cooling system has been detected?

I have cleaned the fan and reseated the cpu. There is no debris on the inside and the fan can be heard actually running. Can this message be ignored? Is it actually something to worry about?

This is re: a Toshiba A45-S121.

How much is the paste to go between the heatsync and the cpu? Maybe that will fix this.

Update

I added some thermal grease and the cpu kept overheating. This seems to be a glitch with this toshiba laptop.

I suspect this is more than a glitch.
Perhaps your fan is slow or intermittant... I don't know this model, but many laptops can detect the number of revolutions of a fan.
I would replace the fan, rather than risk damage. They are not expensive.
Can you verify that the air channels through which Toshiba exhausts air from the CPU cooler are not blocked with hair or firch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back