Inactive Warning: File Hippo malware

Hurriken

I just wanted to report that I tried to update my browsers using File Hippo and both times I ended up with Malware. I am able to get it off but I'm afraid to trust FileHippo now.

First of all I doubt Filehippo would do that.
Secondly why would you update any browser through Filehippo instead of browser itself?

I figured it would be failsafe, so to speak. I guess it would be better to update directly from the browsers or CNET.

Believe me, I'm trying to be better at protecting my system. After this happened today I ran MalwareBytes, Adwcleaner, JRT, and Eset. Do you think this is fine or should I have you check it?

I wouldn't trust CNET too much.
Update browsers through themselves.

Did any of those scans detect anything?
If not you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, which browsers did you try to update through Filehippo, what kind of infection did you get and what program reported it?

I will from now on. I thought CNET was good, I'll be wary then.

malware bytes pulled a bunch of pup files. Eset pulled the following:

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\Optimizer Pro 3.11\OptimizerPro.exe.vir a variant of Win32/SpeedingUpMyPC application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\Optimizer Pro 3.11\OptProCrash.dll.vir a variant of Win32/SProtector.L potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
E:\Downloads\System Downloads\Chrome_Setup.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.QV potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined

JRT and ADW found stuff as well. I have the logs.

Also, I tried to update FH itself, Chrome, and Firefox. Nothing showed until I opened the browser and a website opened and WoT popped up right away. After it was too late Avast told me there was a malware but I forget exactly what it said.

It's be helpful to know what Avast discover but in any case...
Is your computer experiencing any issues?

At the moment the computer seems fine. I feel like pummeling a malware creator but I will be fine!

p22003888.gif

Back