Waste of $$$ or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

I have a 250W PS in my current rig (old...yes...) and since I put in my Radeon 9800 Pro I can't overclock it to 994Mhz (700Mhz normal).

I bought a new PS, 350W and I am hoping that will fix it. This may be a useless and dumb question, but will that help it?

Also, I'm new to Power Supplies, how many devices can one connect with a 420W supply compared to a, say, 250W?

When it comes to power supply's, wattage is not the only concern. You need to be sure to have a high-quality unit.

As far as the overclock, I don't beleive the supply will help.

I'm buying a Sparkle 350W power supply :)

See, when I go over 115 FSB, my computer won't boot. Before it could, so I'm blaming the power supply :D

I think right on the side of the 9800's box it says the minumum power supply reccemendations I think it asks for a min of a 250 so that might be the problem. Take a look and see.

Cheesehead made a good point about that in his post here.

I'd probably say yes that is the issue, but it could be other things such as increased temp. The power supply will definatly help you out though. 250watt isn't really enough nowadays. just adding a new HD could potentialy push you over the edge.

Good luck :)

dude how did u even install the 9800pro? afaik, ati says 350watts is the abosolue minimum for a 9700pro, let alone a 9800pro

I'm special ;)

I installed the PS and I still can't overclock :( But I suppose that's OK...

Any ideas as to why I can't overclock? Windows doesn't even start when I increase the FSB to 115 (anything over and the comp doesn't boot).

It's default right now, and it's perfectly stable. I once had it at 994Mhz and it was stable, but ever since the 9800... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back