Watch a drone race a McLaren supercar in this World Drone Prix promo

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Most associate drones with basic camera-equipped consumer models that offer unparalleled views from above but like virtually all hobbies, some have made a competitive sport of it.

The 2016 World Drone Prix is set to kick off next week and to generate attention, the show's promoters have released a teaser video showcasing a drone racing a McLaren 650S through the streets of Dubai complete with augmented reality special effects. The McLaren belongs to the local police department (I know, right?) so I assume no laws were broken in the creation of the promo.

More than 100 teams have registered to take place in the qualifying rounds which get under way March 7. The top 32 teams will advance to the actual races on March 11 and 12 as they compete for $1 million in prizes (the winning team takes home $250,000).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

If they want to be fair, they should race an apache helicopter. Or keep the drone on this ground to race a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it moves, race it. It's in our DNA... And what traffic department or cop force buys their cack handed cowboys McLaren MP4 12C supercars to stuff around in? This video is more like an ad for the next NFS game.

Last edited:
If it moves, race it. It's in our DNA... And what traffic department or cop force buys their cack handed cowboys McLaren MP4 12C supercars to stuff around in? This video is more like an ad for the next NFS game.
Supercars are used all over the world as cop cars, I would expect there to be supercars in Dubai considering how many supercars there are there. I mean if one of them breaks the law you need something that equals it to even have a prayer of catching it. You have Vipers and high end Corvettes in the US, Lamborghinis and Ferraris in the UK, all types of Brabus Benzs in Germany they are everywhere.

Supercars are used all over the world as cop cars, I would expect there to be supercars in Dubai considering how many supercars there are there. I mean if one of them breaks the law you need something that equals it to even have a prayer of catching it. You have Vipers and high end Corvettes in the US, Lamborghinis and Ferraris in the UK, all types of Brabus Benzs in Germany they are everywhere.
They have helicopters, it's hard to outrun a helicopter.

--> ***** zips by speed trap north of 160mph.

--> Cop in standard cruiser radios chopper.

--> Chopper takes 10 minutes to get into the air.

--> ***** gone.

Just ask these fine gentlemen trying to catch a GTR in...whatever state this is (warning, language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pOlQeqR3eA

Choppers are expensive to run, takes time to get there since they aren't patrolling and might be far away and a supercar can get VERY far away in the time it arrives. Also, it takes quite a bit more training to fly a chopper while a bit of training to anyone with a license can teach them to safely drive a supercar (well not safely but not suicidally). Until we get to the point where choppers are always patrolling and ready to respond instantly a fast car will be better to catch a fast car.

That assumes the 'fast car' is in the vicinity of the lawbreaker to begin with. That's almost never the case. A more likely scenario is patrol cars keep the person in sight by use of radio and multiple cars in intercept positions with a helicopter overhead. Roadblocks or spikestrips are laid in the he path.

Supercars are mainly used for events and liaison work and sometimes on speed traps.
The number supercars to standard patrol cars is very low and very unlikely to be used in a pursuit.

Standard patrol cars and common highway interceptors with an overhead patrol support is used to catch fleeing vehicles.

Things are done differently in Dubai in this respect.. the entire reason supercars were introduced to the PD is to increase the probability of actually keeping up with other supercars on the road. And the speed demons that drive them.

Dubai is a very wealthy environment compared to almost anywhere in the states, as linked in one of the posts above, the actual facts are there. And quite interesting.

Things are done differently in Dubai in this respect.. the entire reason supercars were introduced to the PD is to increase the probability of actually keeping up with other supercars on the road. And the speed demons that drive them.

Dubai is a very wealthy environment compared to almost anywhere in the states, as linked in one of the posts above, the actual facts are there. And quite interesting.
Ever summer in the Hamptons? :)

Back