Watch as these 16 floppy drives belt out true electronic music

By Shawn Knight
Aug 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic music and floppy drives seemingly have little in common but try telling that to James Willis. The Cardiff University student recently combined new-age gadgets and software (an iPad, myRIO and LabVIEW) with technology from yesteryear (floppy drives and MIDI) to create what he calls the ultimate electronic band.

Willis used a total of 16 drives to create the following five-song set list:

1. Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
    2. Imperial March – John Williams (Star Wars)
    3. Super Mario Bros. Theme - Koji Kondo
    4. Get Lucky - Daft Punk
    5. The Final Countdown – Europe

The idea isn't entirely new but nevertheless, Willis did an excellent job both with the project and his selection of tunes.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  2. Jeff Re

Jeff Re TS Member Posts: 18

I had a program that could play a song on my Commodore 64 5.25" disk drive. I'm sure it was HORRIBLE for the drive so I only tried it once or twice.
  3. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

Too much time on their hands.
  4. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Addict Posts: 217   +91

I don't really understand why this was posted. Music on floppy drives is well over three years old :/ Reaching for content?
  5. Duckeenie

Duckeenie TS Booster Posts: 69   +54

Tough crowd 'ere.

Eye of the tiger sounds amazing, I think the other tunes are less convincing though.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,945

Are these people who do these kind of things in the joint? They seem to have a lot of time on their hands.
  7. Namtrooper

Namtrooper TS Rookie

It's new for me since I missed the past projects by whoever wherever.
  8. ShallBeNotNamed

ShallBeNotNamed TS Rookie

You should search the game of thrones opening song made from floppy drives ... :D