TechSpot

Watch as this angry hawk takes out a quadcopter drone in mid-air

By Shawn Knight
Oct 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It was a seemingly normal Wednesday for YouTuber Christopher Schmidt. He was out flying his Phantom FC40 quadcopter at Magazine Beach Park in Cambridge, Massachusetts, when a hawk decided he wasn't too thrilled with the drone's presence.

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

Makes me want to build a quad copter suit for my cat

Wendig0 and WangDangDoodle like this.
  3. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

[​IMG]

Wendig0, St1ckM4n, trgz and 4 others like this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,320   +709

Yet another reason to outlaw these stupid things. I'd sooner believe that private citizens need machine guns than flying camcorders.

5. stewi0001

I can't stop laughing XD thanks for posting this!

6. yRaz

Do you think it should be legal for stewi0001 to attach a camcorder to his flying cat?

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,315   +133

oh dont play coy, you. *pinches cheek*

8. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,315   +133

As long as the cat in question is a munchkin cat, that way he doesnt jump on my counters.

9. yRaz

That's what my latest product, the tabby taser is for! It's a collar you give your cat and whenever they act up you can give them a gentle shock of about 50,000 volts. It even features wireless charging so you'll never have to change the battery!

10. I don't see an angry hawk here! I just see perfection of nature protecting it's territory whilst doing humanity a great service. Job well done my feathered friend!

The NSA, Amazon, Google etc are probably already commissioning some arms company to produce "air to hawk" missiles!

11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Looks to me like the hawk was trying to land, maybe the copter looked very much like a stationary object?

12. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 291   +55

get off my lawn!!!!!

13. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Addict Posts: 199   +71

HAHAHAAAAH! Yeah, teach that stupid bird a lesson!

14. stewi0001

that's also how they look when they are catching prey, but you could be right.

15. JakeT

JakeT TS Member Posts: 74   +20

I think it was trying to catch it to eat it. It may look like small game for them. The bird looked fairly big compared to a Phantom2.

16. noel24

noel24 TS Maniac Posts: 304   +154

'Merica!

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,551   +2,894

That does make you wonder! And I agree that the bird did not look to be angry and attacking. Have you ever seen a bird attack another bird? They don't get away easily, and they try real hard. This quad-chopper just stops and doesn't try to evade. Yet the bird disappears afterward.

18. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

It's 'Murica! Learn your meme son.

This was cool though :p

19. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 845   +335

Go ahead make a quadcopter for your cats so hawks can kill them.

20. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +269

Good eyes, mate.

In the US where Raptors are federally protected, any such attempt at shooting raptors, or other protected birds, out of the sky will be met with long, federal prison sentences.

I'll speculate that if such things become more ubiquitous, it won't only be hawks chasing these things out of their territory, it will be birds like red-wing blackbirds and other smaller birds that commonly chase bigger birds like hawks out of their territory. These things will be prime targets for birds, and there will probably be ignorant users of these things that will start a campaign to eliminate all birds.

It is too bad the hawk left the quadra copter intact, IMHO.

21. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +269

A hawk's feet are what it uses to grab things - including catching things in the air. Having some knowledge of bird behavior, to me, this is a bird defending its territory.

22. Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia... Ah, nevermind:
    :D
    (@animalrightsgodchosenorwhatever, no, not really)

Wendig0 likes this.
  23. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

Comments like yours scare me. Why do you feel like the government needs to ban something else, much less an expensive recreational toy?