Watch as this computer sings ballads from the '90s

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A German visual and sound artist by the name of Martin Backes has created a fully automated machine that endlessly belts out #1 ballads from the ‘90s.

The machine’s playlist includes hits like Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You, R. Kelly’s I Believe I Can Fly and Celine Dion’s My Heart Will Go On (the theme from Titanic).

Witnessing a computer sing a song is impressive in its own right but what’s really striking is the fact that the system attempts to apply the appropriate human sentiments while singing. Backes notes that the behavior seems to reflect a desire on the part of the machine to become sophisticated enough to have its own personality.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

A German visual and sound artist by the name of Martin Backes has created a fully automated machine that endlessly belts out #1 ballads from the ‘90s.
Could have saved him the expense by just pointing him towards some of my friends, some of whom do exactly the same thing- and the only R&D outlay would be a dozen beers and a few single malts.

Back