Watch as this Nintendo Switch continues to function as a waterjet carves away at it

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube content creators figured out a while back that the shock value generated by destroying cutting-edge consumer electronics like smartphones and tablets could generate a significant amount of advertising revenue (in most cases, more than enough to cover the cost of the gadget itself).

Once the trend caught on, however, simply smashing an iPhone on the concrete wasn’t enough. Indeed, if you wanted traffic, you really needed to get creative and step your game up to stand out in the crowd which is exactly what the Waterjet Channel has done.

After acquiring a couple of Nintendo Switch consoles, they promptly loaded up a game, strapped the handheld down and let the waterjet loose on it.

Surprisingly enough, the system remained functional for close to a minute and a half as a large chunk of the system was cut away. Sure, it doesn’t really say much about the machine’s durability but it’s incredible to witness nevertheless.

The precision cuts by the waterjet look incredible and could make a nice keepsake, especially if you’re a Zelda fan (although I’m not sure how safe it is to have the battery exposed like that).

Permalink to story.

I'm almost more interested in what was cut or contained in that first triangle since it was NOT needed for the system to still function...

I'm almost more interested in what was cut or contained in that first triangle since it was NOT needed for the system to still function...

Nintendo saw the video and immediately moved to reduce costs on Switch production, leaving that first triangle bit out of all new machines shipped

Wow! People will do anything for channel views... And all I've learned from that video is never lend those guy's your tech.

Wow! People will do anything for channel views... And all I've learned from that video is never lend those guy's your tech.

If you have a waterjet, can buy a Switch for ~$300, then can make thousands in ad revenue by destroying it...why not? These guys have a very wasteful, yet profitable, business model.

Thankfully the $90k ebay listing was pulled. No doubt it was being run up by trolls.

Cut through the battery and part of the circuit board and was still working? What kind of undead console is this?

Back